rg58/u or RG 6/u coax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5MAR

Depends on the frequency range to be monitored, and the length of the coax run. In general, I'd recommend the RG-6QS, as the loss is lower in the higher freq. ranges. The impedance mis-match is not a major factor in receive-only systems, especially when using broadband antennas.

Mark S.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
RG-58 is fine for mobile installations, but I would never use it for a base station antenna run. You should use RG-6, or better still, Belden 9913 or LMR-400 cable for longer base station antenna setups.

K5MAR

Actually, for mobile use I intend to rewire all my mounts with LMR-200. LMR-400 would be the best choice for home use, but as he only asked about 58 vs. 6, I wouldn recommend the 6QS.

Mark S.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I have some questions pertaining to this subject.

Will the rg-6 quad shield be a big factor on lower frequencys? What cable might be a good low loss cable for general coverage? will rg-6 quad shield be all I need?
My cable run will be maybe 15 feet at the most. I have wanted to try Cable tv type cable but un sure on it's performance. I have rg-6 broad band premium type by geniuses cable co. My current cable run is rg-59u. I am questioning it's performance. Although it's ten year old cable don't know if that might be a factor. Would it? Some of you may have more knowledge in cable then I do. I have never heard of lmr-200, 400. Is this a cable that can be found a radio shack? Or online?

st00

Curious as well

I'm thinking of embarking upon a little project today myself. I was thinking of going out and purchasing a discone antenna. So I have been reading on the radio shack on their discone, and they recommend the use of RG-58. However, I usually trust people with experience more than a manual. Not always. But often. So are you guys sure the RG-58 isn't the way to go? I'll most likely round up some cable when I purchase the antenna.

Also, I notice quite a few of the antennas from Rat Shack do not have BNCs on them. But all the scanners I have made by them have BNCs. Do the majority of discones come with BNC connectors on them? I'm curious how I hook the cable to the discone. Solder?

K5MAR

RS recommends 58 as it's easier to handle than 8. Neither is much good at freqs above 100 MHz, especially when using longer cable runs. Lower loss cable doesn't have as much an effect the lower your freq, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Most antennas have either SO-239 (the female half of the PL-259) or female N connectors. The N connector is much superior, especially the higher in freq. you go. An adapter will connect your coax to the BNC on your scanner.

Don't buy the RS discone if you are mounting it outside, it won't last.

RG-6QS is a good receive-only alternative. Times Microwave's LMR-200 (same size as RG-58 ) and LMR-400 (same size as RG-8 ) are sold by amateur radio dealers such as HRO and AES. You won't find it at Radio Shack.

Coax ages and loses performance. Coax exposed to the weather should be replaced every several years.

Recomendation: Buy the best antenna and coax you can. It doesn't matter how good your scanner is, if the signal doesn't get to it, it ain't gonna work!

Mark S.

st00

From what I have read regarding the RS Discone, results in terms of longevity seem to vary. People post different opinions from around the country. Some say it has weathered well. Others don't. I think this is due to weather. That is my guess. I live in Idaho, so I get the full four seasons...winter being fairly decent. Nothing like some portions of the country, but enough to intimidate others. If only I could find a real good indoor solution. I haven't though. I have the whole "wife doesn't want a ugly antenna" problem. Based on reading that others are putting them their attic, this would elude to a lack of a good indoor solution.

nd5y

poltergeisty said:
k5mar said:
Don't buy the RS discone if you are mounting it outside, it won't last.
I use this discone. 10 years old now. So far so good. Why wont it last?

I had one back in the 80's and it was a piece of crap. The cone elements
were very thin wall chrome plated brass tubing (the same material that cheap
telescoping antennas are made from) that were crimped on to threaded
studs. Most of the crimps came loose after a year or so.

Tom

JnglMassiv

For comparing coax, Ive made use of references like this and this. They don't have every /u /x /whaddevah varient but many are represented.

It seems like for every RS discone user who claims it failed at the first raindrops to hit it, there's another who claims theys used it for 20 years in summer snow hurricane tornados without a single problem. It is an inexpensive starter antenna with good performance..but that's all. FWIW, I'll be keeping mine inside.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
JnglMassiv said:
...It seems like for every RS discone user who claims it failed at the first raindrops to hit it, there's another who claims theys used it for 20 years in summer snow hurricane tornados without a single problem. It is an inexpensive starter antenna with good performance..but that's all. FWIW, I'll be keeping mine inside.
Well, if you consider $70.00 as an inexpensive starter antenna for scanning, I guess you consider the VHF/UHF ground plane one a give-away. :lol:

An extra $20 added to that $70 tag will get you a real discone. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.