RG8U VS LMR400

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I got both and they look the same and I did a little googling but I want to hear from someone what they think about both kinds of coax.. if you put them side by side they look the same. If yo google RG8U you get more results for regular RG8 or RG8X???

DISCUSS PLEASE!!!!

methusaleh

Depends on the application.

LMR400 was the choice I made for burial of a 30 foot run to the base of my Gap Challenger DX. It has excellent loss characteristics as well as a direct burial rating. That sold me on LMR400.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
To me the LMR400 and the RG8U look the same. Im using Rg8U for scanner purposes only not transmitting

I got both and they look the same and I did a little googling but I want to hear from someone what they think about both kinds of coax.. if you put them side by side they look the same. If yo google RG8U you get more results for regular RG8 or RG8X???

DISCUSS PLEASE!!!!
Hi Jason,

RG-8 and RG8X are two different things. RG-8 is a thicker diameter, while RG8X is a little thicker than RG-58 (a typical mobile radio antenna cable), but not as thick as RG-8. LMR400 is a cable that's about the thickness of RG-8, but is constructed differently.

Cables all have different characteristics and are used for different purposes. For example 100 feet of cable at 156 MHz:

RG-8: 2.4 dB loss
RG-8X: 4.3 dB loss
LMR400: 1.5 dB loss

You can see how the different types of cable might kinda look the same, but because of how they are engineered and what materials they are made of, have entirely different characteristics. But, a shorter length of RG-8X on a lower frequency might be completely acceptable. Likewise, there is a point of diminishing returns for longer runs of LMR400 before larger diameter cable should be considered, especially at higher frequencies.

None of those cables should be used for duplex operations, like connecting between a repeater and a base antenna.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I wish I could post a picture here and show you that they look alike.. ScanMan If you can post the pictures that I sent you 2 are LMR400 and 3 are RG8U

n5ims

You CAN apply pics here, but I don't know how..

If necessary, press the Go Advanced button (if you see "Manage Attachments", this step isn't necessary).

Press the "Manage Attachments" button.

Use the appropriate Upload function from the pop-up window.

Upload (or link to) the file(s) as required. They'll show up above the Manage Attachments button on the main screen. When you've handled all attachments close the pop-up window.

Press "Submit Reply" and they should magically appear on your post. Note, there are limits to the file size so make them as small as practical. Also be aware that one large picture will resize the entire thread so try to not have them much wider than 640 or at most 800 pixels wide or you'll have folks giving up on reading the thread because they'll have to scroll left & right on every post to read them!

Attachments

• GoAdvanced.jpg
    GoAdvanced.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 5,673
  • ManageAttachments.jpg
    ManageAttachments.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 5,742
  • Upload.jpg
    Upload.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 5,790

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Here is 2 pictures. My son is holding the RG8U and the other picture is LMR400 and looks alkie

Attachments

• 20150213_160314.jpg
    20150213_160314.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 6,625
  • 20150213_160217.jpg
    20150213_160217.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5,962

N5TWB

A Golden Delicious apple and an Asian pear look a lot alike on the outside, too. If you cut into them, you'll find the differences. Same thing with coaxial cables. Go to a hamfest where this stuff is sold off of spools without connectors. Buy some to take apart and find out the differences since you don't want to take the word of more experienced people on the forum. Buy some connectors and learn to solder them on the cable. There's a bunch of YouTube videos on it. Build your skills and knowledge.

n5ims

The typical RG-8 and LMR-400 both are quite similar in size, but there are significant differences once you slice it open.

RG-8 has a single braided shield so there is not 100% coverage. https://www.rushcables.com/product-p/RC-80-800-493-BK.htm?gclid=CKSVifut4MMCFUvl7AodzVYATQ

LMR-400 has both a foil shield and a second shield made from braided wire so you have 100% coverage. 952305: WPS LMR-400 (WPS400) Bulk Cable (500')

There are additional differences as well, but they vary based on the exact type of each cable you have. Those include:
* Type of insulation between the center wire and the shield.
* Solid vs. stranded wire for the center conductor.
* Type of insulation on the other covering.

So do you think my RG8U Will work ok for my Ferret Antenna and myscanners. Im not looking to Transmit
Sure it will. Why not? We all were just trying to say that the cables are all different even though they might look the same on the outside, and that each one of them has its own strengths and weaknesses.

As for getting some cable and soldering connectors, I think that's a fantastic idea. Same for comparing the different kinds of cables for yourself and seeing which one worked the best for what you need. There's no replacement for learning by doing.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Tommorow I'm gonna take both cables apart and check them out... Thank you all for the help

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
RG8X is found a lot on CB rigs. At 30 Mhz, it offers 2 dB of attenuation per 100ft where RG58 offers 2.5 dB of attenuation per 100ft.

Times Microwave basically names their cable off of diameter (rounding).
LMR400 has a diameter of .405"…as does RG-8
LMR200 has a diameter of .195"…as does RG-58
LMR240 has a diameter of .240"…as does RG-8X
LMR100 has a diameter of .110"…as does RG-179

LMR400 works great. Just not recommended for full duplex application.

Connectors are generally sold based on feed line type (braided, plenum, heliax/hardline) and diameter though often bundled for a general RG cable of that diameter to aide average joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.