BCD325P2/BCD996P2: RH96 on a BCD996P2? Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Funny you should mention that!

Yes, Ric just sent me an updated converter that I tried and it works great! This one plugs into the USB port on the front of the 996P2 and allows the GPS port on the rear to remain available for GPS.

I will provide an updated spec sheet tonight or tomorrow with the new info.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here is the specs and updated instructions for the USB version. It seems to work fine for Ric but I have had some issues at my end, probably for some unrelated issues with my radio.

Basically you need to add a HobbyTronics USB host to the mix, the updated schematic is shown on page 8.
v2 with USB

radiotech1

Premium Subscriber
I see HobbyTronics sells their board preprogrammed for serial option FTDI, CP210X, PL2303, CH340, CDC. Do we just order them preprogrammed or do we need to program them with something else?

ricp

I see HobbyTronics sells their board preprogrammed for serial option FTDI, CP210X, PL2303, CH340, CDC. Do we just order them preprogrammed or do we need to program them with something else?
Order it programmed and the program will work with all the mentioned chips without any action required.
And of course works with the P2
Programming them yourself is an unneccessary pain.
Ric

N9JIG

Sheriff
Mark Nelson detected an error in the schematic that neither Ric or I caught. The HobbyTronics USB Host requires 5vdc, not 12 so should be connected to the 5V line coming out of the Nano.

I updated the schematic and posted it at Updated Schematic 2-24-19

scosgt

The P2 has an issue with PC control over USB. Is that a problem with the USB version?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
So I'm going to build a USB version since I use the GPS function on the scanner, How do I program the unit with the DB-9 female plug not in the mix. Is the preprogrammed Hobby Tronics board going to cover it? Thanks to all involved for making this happen.

radiotech1

Premium Subscriber
Mark Nelson detected an error in the schematic that neither Ric or I caught. The HobbyTronics USB Host requires 5vdc, not 12 so should be connected to the 5V line coming out of the Nano.

I updated the schematic and posted it at Updated Schematic 2-24-19

Is the picture on page 9 correct? It shows the stereo jack is connected to terminals 1, 3, 4 on the RS232 module. This is different than the schematic and the picture of the original version on page 6 which shows terminals 2,3,5 and matches the schematic.

milcom_chaser

Hey this is really cool. Have you tested it on P-25 Phase II systems? The firmware in RH-96 would not parse commands for P-25 Phase II systems and the associated sub menu features of the 325/996P2 scanners after we studied the protocols awhile back... Thanks for working on this!!!!

Last edited:

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Here is the specs and updated instructions for the USB version. It seems to work fine for Ric but I have had some issues at my end, probably for some unrelated issues with my radio.

Basically you need to add a HobbyTronics USB host to the mix, the updated schematic is shown on page 8.
v2 with USB

Maybe the reason is the noted error in the RS232 connections for the usb model.....

Nice to see so many eyes looking at this, I never would have caught that. And which way is correct, how it’s written or how it’s pictured?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Some of my parts came in today, and I order a nano with a USB cable included (B071NMBP4S) it's a stout cable and looks to be just the right length for the box attached to the scanner. I also order the 1/8" jack (B077XPSKQD) that has wire terminals, less soldering.

milcom_chaser

Finally found the time to build this. Works perfectly! Thanks Ric & Rich! This will make my drive better once I set it up in the car (should be tomorrow).
Here's my video of it working:
Can you make a video showing this setup on a Phase II P-25? Thank You.

radiotech1

Premium Subscriber
I have built a few of the original version converters that use the Scanner's back serial port and they all work fine.

I have built one of the version 2 converters that use the usb front port and all I get is Scanner Unconnected Error.
I wired it like the schematic using pins 2,3,5 of the serial board. But as I said in the earlier post the picture on page 9 of the instructions show the stereo jack wired to terminals 1, 3, 5. So which is correct? Does the converter in the picture on page 9 actually work?

Status
Not open for further replies.