Richland County sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W4ZMJ

Richland county sheriff dispatch is now encrypted as off today all dispatch channels are encrypted

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
That is indeed unfortunate news... we have been lucky as the Carolinas haven't been heavy users of encryption, but I'm starting to see the big E slowly creeping in.

holsen

They don't mind being on Live PD but encrypt the radios ... go figure. Sounds like Motorola talked them into it for xtra $$$ in their pocket.

W

W4ZMJ

it was a matter of time i guess CPD not encrypted yet but we will see tho with the new 9600 baud system they switch to few years ago encryption dose not cost them anything like it did on the old 3600baud

mrat1234

i hope Columbia pd and highway patrol as well as Lexington county city pd's decide to encrypt

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
They don't mind being on Live PD but encrypt the radios ... go figure. Sounds like Motorola talked them into it for xtra $$$ in their pocket.

Did you ever consider that maybe the customer asked to have encryption enabled ? I know that will blow minds. Usually the way it works is, companies like Motorola or Harris will build a system per customer spec. Encryption on a P25 system is almost free vs back in the analog days where it was very expensive.

If you want to point fingers, you need to shame the communications consultants who write specs for RFP's and "word of mouth". Fun fact : Sheriffs and police chiefs talk to each other. Sometimes, they may even ask each other "How do you like your new radio system?".

I have worked for 15 years on the tech side of things, I have seen the consultants, RFP's, spec and whatnot of new radio systems. No, the "slick" sales people don't push encryption left and right like you claim.

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks everyone that submitted this information. The database has been updated accordingly. And yes, it's unfortunate.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't blame Motorola or their vendors (Comm Spec, etc), however I wouldn't be surprised if Palmetto 800 encourages users to go ENC/Secure.

In this case RCSD already had everything but the dispatch channels ENC, but after a recent radio upgrade it appears they have now gone completely dark. While I mainly listen to Lexington County (where the SD has been ENC since forever) I still hate to see any other agency ENC their dispatch channels.

W

W4ZMJ

monkey see monkey do they didn't have to upgrade radios for encryption those old radios could have done it look at Lexington they used those old 3000s for ever then those 5000 been 20 years now sense they went dark

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
monkey see monkey do they didn't have to upgrade radios for encryption those old radios could have done it look at Lexington they used those old 3000s for ever then those 5000 been 20 years now sense they went dark

I am not fully understanding your comment. So, it's OK to use a 20 year old radio for front line public safety use ? If so, I guess following that idea, they should still be driving 1999 Crown Vics with 300,000 + miles on them ? They would probably still run, but I wouldn't trust them in front line daily use. I wouldn't want a ambulance to show up at my house leaking oil, misfiring, check engine light on...etc.

All tools used in public safety get worn down or need replaced due to technology adaptions. A XTS 3000 is well out of its window for front line use. I don't have the sheet in front of me, but I am pretty sure support and parts for them are limited at this point, or even not available at all.

The days of the 20+ year old radio system for public safety are almost gone. 10 years is a safe number. At the 10 year mark, hopefully plans are in place to work on the next generation system or start working with the mfg on upgrading components to keep things going well. Some very large systems will negotiate a longer life/support cycle for infrastructure. Subscriber units usually aren't in those types of deals.

Besides, due to making sure our first repsonders have the best tools they need, keeps the surplus market going for y'all who like to have those XTS 3000 and XTS 5000 radios ! :)

W

W4ZMJ

what I am saying is Lexington County Sheriff's Department has been encrypted since about 1999 they were using xts 3000 then migrated to the 5000 what I am saying is you didn't have to upgrade to the apx to get encryption those radios could do it so if richland county wanted encryption at 100% that didnt need the apx radios they could have at any time done it with the 2500s. They used

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
what I am saying is Lexington County Sheriff's Department has been encrypted since about 1999 they were using xts 3000 then migrated to the 5000 what I am saying is you didn't have to upgrade to the apx to get encryption those radios could do it so if richland county wanted encryption at 100% that didnt need the apx radios they could have at any time done it with the 2500s. They used

Maybe they decided it was time to update their radios since the entire XTS 5000 has been discontinued since 2013. The XTS 2500 was dropped in 2014. Some depts issue radios to be taken home, some rotate them for 24 hours a day service. If they have been used 24/7, maybe they are just being proactive and keeping things working well.

Sometimes radio also get handed down. Maybe they pass along their old XTS's to another agency or department to use.

W

W4ZMJ

I hear Columbia PD is next for encryption oh boy selling my scanner soon for its said and done fire dispatch on the UHF 453 frequencies be all that's left what a shame lol p25 sucks remember the days before that on the old type 2 system with mts2000 flash ports it is what it is tho

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I hear Columbia PD is next for encryption oh boy selling my scanner soon for its said and done fire dispatch on the UHF 453 frequencies be all that's left what a shame lol p25 sucks remember the days before that on the old type 2 system with mts2000 flash ports it is what it is tho

In my case, P25 is working awesome. Our state system was setup properly as well as the subscribers. Audio sounds great on my SDS100 and APX7000 system radio.

mrat1234

was speaking with a cpd officer the other day and saw she had an apx radio she said their rolling them out as fast as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.