• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

ride alongs

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3ncn

It is different depending on where you are. Check with your local FD and they can give you a possitive answer. Where I was in MD back in the late 70's early 80's we did not have those.
Check localy and you will get a good answer.
You said fd did you mean PD?

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
In my city it is 16 to ride in the ambulance, and 14 to ride in a engine/ladder truck. It's almost a certainty that your city will be different, they might not even allow it. In any case, you or your parents (depending on your age) will need to sign a waiver. Also, many departments only allow it if it's a school based assignment (career day, etc), you can't just ask them to give you a ride for the hell of it. ;)

car2back

In Oklahoma, is usually 16 to ride the ambulance and 18 to ride with a law enforcement agency, but specific requirements vary from agency.

hoser147

In My area there is no such thing allowed unless you are a student EMT or Firefighter then they make you sign a waiver releaseing them from any claims you may suffer.............hoser147

jmp883

The agency I dispatch for has a ride-along program. The only requirement is that you are a college intern.

We dispatch a town that covers 30 square miles. That's a lot of territory to dispatch. I've been working here for 8 of the 16 years I've been dispatching and know the town fairly well. However it would be great if the dispatchers could ride along with a patrolman, or even better with a supervisor, so they could learn the basics of each zone. The Chief's office will not allow dispatchers to ride along, saying we're an insurance and legal liability to the department and to the town by being in a patrol car. But yet it's OK to have college interns, who aren't even township employees and aren't even covered by township insurance, ride around with a patrolman all day.

Those who need to do ride-alongs are the ones not allowed to.........go figure.........:confused:

Utah_Viper

I was lucky from the time I was 16 I was able to go on about 20 rides with the West Valley FD. They normally allow one with parents permission, I was freinds wth many of the dept so go to go basicly when I wanted :)

rayveedub

i have gotten a few ride alongs from the local PD..........non of them were voluntary.

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
When I was 17 I got to ride in my departments Ladder truck. I remember we were dispatched to 2 runs that day, one was a freeway accident, and the other a dryer fire. It was really neat, 'cause I got to stay there the whole day (it was career day). If you are eligible to do ride-alongs, do it when you have the chance! :)

vs1988

I can't speak for my local FD, but EMS only allows student EMTs to ride as part of their observation/clinicals. You must be 15 to take the class and 16 to be certified in CT. As for FD, I know my local dept. has a cadet program, I believe the age is 15. PD has an explorer program which also does ridealongs, but you have to be 14 and certified in basic first aid, cruiser orientation, and familiarity with officer safety among other things.

jmp883

VS1988 wrote:

I can't speak for my local FD, but EMS only allows student EMTs to ride as part of their observation/clinicals. You must be 15 to take the class and 16 to be certified in CT. As for FD, I know my local dept. has a cadet program, I believe the age is 15. PD has an explorer program which also does ridealongs, but you have to be 14 and certified in basic first aid, cruiser orientation, and familiarity with officer safety among other things.
Unbelieveable.....teenagers are allowed to ride along as long as they meet certain requirements. Like I stated in my previous post my PD allows non-employees to ride along but dispatchers can't.

In addition to being a public safety dispatcher for 16 years I was also a train dispatcher for 1 year. Part of our training required us to be territory-qualified on the lines we dispatched. The only way to do that was to go out and do a ride along of the line(s) you dispatched. A ride along on the railroad involves being given a cab pass and riding in the cab of the locomotive. You bring your employee timetable and take notes. You then are given a territory test to prove you know the details of your lines. You do this on a yearly basis to maintain your qualification to work as a train dispatcher.

I don't know, maybe I'm the idiot here..............those in my department who need to ride along are the ones not allowed to.......:confused:

Last edited:

BoxAlarm187

JMP, I have to agree - what better way for the dispatchers to understand the areas that they're covering than to ride along with the officers? It allows you to see the areas that they're talking about on the radio, which in turn better allows you to predict and react to thier needs when they're asking for assistance.

I dispatched for Virginia State Police for five years, and the dispatchers were required to ride along in each of the eight Area Office districts we covered before thier six-month probationary status was up. Since we had troopers that covered 22 counties and 4 cities (which, of course, equals several thousand square miles), the trainee couldn't be expected to see everything, but the trainers could see what a difference it made in the trainee's job knowledge. Incidentally, I started my training today to dispatch part-time for the county I work as a full-time career FF. Hard to turn down $24/hr for a job that I love doing! ;-)

My wife is a dispatcher also for an public safety agency covering 400 square miles and a population of 275,000. Their work schedule is arranged so they spend every third Thursday in training. These training days offer them the chance to re-cert thier EMT, do live fire training with the fire department, pacticipate in PD ride-alongs, take customer service classes, and things of the like. While something of this magnatude is might be almost impossible for smaller agencies to do, a little creativity could let the dispatchers train with the guys in the field.

I agree that it's lunacy that the interns can do ride-alongs but the dispatchers can't. You should get the officers to explain to the Chief that they would feel better if they knew that the dispatchers had been "in the trenches" with the LEO's, and it would help to build the relationship between the officers and the dispatchers.

Need me to write a letter to your chief for you? :)

Last edited:

K9GTJ

Ride alongs are NOT just for local public service agencies. You can also do this with the military. I did a "fly along" on a 5 hour refueling mission from the local base. Very cool indeed...

...and you never know who you get to refuel

The entire gallery is here - http://www.ap1.net/forum_images/flight/

Status
Not open for further replies.