ridgescan station update 9-1-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

everything still the same but the 1954 Hallicrafters SX-88 is alive again and back in the shack:)
IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

boy does she love the longwire!!

ridgescan

Thank you Chris! Havin a GOOD time over here can't keep my paws off it:D Rosies hollering at me that I gotta eat a meal sometime today!

kma371

QRT
That old Hallicrafter looks like awesome radio!

What model Yaesu you got there?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ridgescan

Thanks man:) the other rig is an Icom R-71A. Look at the difference in size between the two lol
the Hallie is 20" wide by 10" high by 18" deep and weighs about 75lbs:D big as a microwave!

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Speaker?

It looks like you have two small speakers on top of a larger one behind what appears like a BC-350, I am curious about the small speaker on the left of the two, I have seen one like it in a couple of movies, do you know anything about it like a make or model?

ridgescan

Viva Shortwave!
You said it! and I love that sigpic-God Bless the U.S.A
is one awesome looking radio! When it comes time to depart THAT radio, let me know. I'll make you an offer you can not refuse...lol
You've got a very well organized shack sir and thank you for sharing. Looks great.
Thank you very much:) and I think this radio's going with me:D

It looks like you have two small speakers on top of a larger one behind what appears like a BC-350, I am curious about the small speaker on the left of the two, I have seen one like it in a couple of movies, do you know anything about it like a make or model?
I have two of those speakers, which are Realistic SP-150 communications speakers. They sound nice too:) the hallicrafters is running with a Jenson center channel speaker from a home theater set, which only begins to do justice to its full fidelity 10 watt tube amp.

SCPD

QRT
were do you live again :) I think i can carry 75lbs no problem :)
Everything looks great, I should do an update here with new pictures of my corner of the room. You have any problems running the longwire to the disscone and what kind of ground are you using?

ridgescan

were do you live again :) I think i can carry 75lbs no problem :)
Everything looks great, I should do an update here with new pictures of my corner of the room. You have any problems running the longwire to the disscone and what kind of ground are you using?
Mike you crack me up here:D
No the discone as the feed wound up giving much quieter signals than the straight wire itself. I removed the groundplane radials and replaced the stock whip with a 27mhz whip which all added to clean up the reception.
I have the antenna system grounded to the fire escape at the roof, which is bolted to the I-beam frame of the building. This cleaned up HF a lot. I also have the antenna switch here inside grounded to the cold water pipe in the bathroom which killed a ton of noise at MW and LW.. Both grounds are with short runs of #6AWG

Status
Not open for further replies.