Riley County bids for 800 MHz P-25 radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber

Thanks! Nice overview of what the consultant recommended. I was able to locate the Commission minutes from the bid opening on July 11th online. They indicate that Harris and Motorola were the only two bidders. Motorola was the low bidder on an 8 site system, however Motorola also provided an option for a 12 site system. It will be interesting to see how they move forward on this.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Nice overview of what the consultant recommended. I was able to locate the Commission minutes from the bid opening on July 11th online. They indicate that Harris and Motorola were the only two bidders. Motorola was the low bidder on an 8 site system, however Motorola also provided an option for a 12 site system. It will be interesting to see how they move forward on this.

Cool, I'm glad you found it helpful. I ran across that a couple weeks ago, Rice county also used Tulsa group for it design, however I have not been able to find anything on yet.

Happy listening.

Last edited:

nec911

News article today in the local papers about the problems with the Riley County VHF system and the migration to a new system.

The article is also in the PDF since the newspaper requires a subscription after so many clicks
TheMercury.com | Officials: County

Attachments

• Mercury News Article.pdf
    181.3 KB · Views: 92

N5TWB

News article today in the local papers about the problems with the Riley County VHF system and the migration to a new system.

The article is also in the PDF since the newspaper requires a subscription after so many clicks
TheMercury.com | Officials: County

OMG - what a recitation of missed opportunities and time lost over the last 12 years. I don't know every last detail of every grant-funding opportunity in that time but I think I can state without fear of being wrong that there were multiple times they could have found funding. In addition, they claim the state wasn't there for them yet KSICS was developed and fielded over that same time with local agencies joining along the way. I'd be a very unhappy taxpayer if I lived there.

Also, the article's reference to the "instant commander" in the part about the FD was funny.

nd5y

Here is the radio contract for the Riley County P25 system from Harris.

The file was over 7mb even when compressed into zip so I have put it up on my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CaBMOsPRwMzk8KZQ3NjldZtsEGDHKeAl/view?usp=sharing

Interesting. About halfway through the document is Exhibit A – Statement of Work– Functional Acceptance Test Plan. It has many pages of test plans that mention radio IDs in the 9980000 range and talkgroup IDs in the 64000 range.

This must be a standard Harris thing because when they installed the P25 phase II simulcast system here in Wichita Falls, TX in 2016 they used the same RID and TGID ranges.

Fireattack484

Feed Provider
Looks like a Phase II system with seven sites — Four simulcast and three stand-alone. AES encryption included on all radios and dispatch consoles. Capability to use smartphones and tablets as radios.

"New seven-site 800 MHz P25 Phase 2 system will comprise of four (4) 800 MHz simulcast sites with 14 P25 Phase 2 Talkpaths (8 channels) at each site and three (3) 800 MHz multi- sites with six P25 Phase 2 Talkpaths (4 channels) at each site:"

Doesn't sound like there is any integration at all with KSICS, this a completely stand-alone system.

nd5y

Doesn't sound like there is any integration at all with KSICS, this a completely stand-alone system.
Page 62 of the document posted earlier:
Details of the system include:

• Redundant ISSI Gateways (virtual servers on the VIDA Core) with connections for external P25 systems.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Snags slow county radio projects

Emily Porter eporter@thermercury.com Jan 14, 2019

Pat Collins said at a Riley County Commission meeting Monday he and his staff have run into some problems setting up the new radio system.
The emergency management director said he originally wanted to put tower equipment at Fort Riley on two of the existing towers. However, officials with the military base said their towers are at capacity, and the county would either need to finance major changes to the towers or create the tower. He said while the site provides “fabulous coverage” for the area, the costs would be too high.

Snags slow county radio projects

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Update on the status of the Riley County project from minutes of the County Commission meeting on May 13, 2019

From the report: "Just a little background, the system( Riley County) purchased is a 7 site system with radio equipment at the following locations. Riley County LEC Tower, Miller Water Tower, (what I refer to as the three Greenfield sites because we have to build them in a green field) Deep Creek, Randolph and Riley, (two Ft. Riley Towers and the top of the world tower owned by Manhattan Broadcasting. We have redundant CORE components that run the system and a host of backup and interop radios that allow us to talk to surrounding agencies."

The report goes on to identify a new "greenfield" site near Keats and one near Interstate 70 to take the place of the U.S. Government towers on Fort Riley that were part of the original plan. Obviously, this is increasing the cost of the project and delaying things with zoning, site licensing etc. The Commission approved the new locations and change orders to their contract with K-Comm.

Link to the minutes: http://rileycountyks.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=15&ID=3117&Inline=True

enduser56

Does anyone know for certain if Riley County plans to utilize encryption on the new system? Maybe this has been been discussed and answered in previous posts and my apologies if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.