Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, to Oversee Volunteer Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I have high hopes for this program.

Riley did similar work when he was at the FCC.
So he should be familiar with the day to day operational problems and mandates.

Thirty three years as a LEO tells me that you can't just saddle up the boys and tell them to ride.
You got to have the troops knowing what to do, and knowing how to do it.

Pre service training, strong familiarization with enforcement protocols , quality oversight, supervision, and constant feedback from higher command to the troops are needed if this is going to be a quality program.

Other wise all you are going to do is just repackage the failed OO program.

KE0GXN

Time will tell on this deal.....

As I sit here today at 1641 Zulu listening to all sorts of malfeasance on 7.200.

They are even IDing, but who knows if they are who they say they are. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
“We trained hard—but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we were reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while actually producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization." Gaius Petronius Arbiter (ca. 27 – 66 AD)

There is nothing new under the Sun.

Lauri :sneaky:

kanerance

This should be interesting....

Don't know Mr. Hollingsworth, but I everything I have read suggests he is the right man for the job. I only hope that he, the League and ultimately the FCC take this whole crusade seriously. 7.2 is a disgusting circus and I don't want hear the tried old, spin the dial or avoid the bad neighborhoods excuses given by the FCC in the past. Otherwise, why even bother with this program.....

Furthermore, the 7.2 idiots are not even staying there, I have heard their kind jamming nets, rag chews, etc.. on all manner of frequencies and bands. I suspect mostly because these guys are getting bored of degrading each other and due to the lack of fear of any meaningful enforcement have been venturing all over the place on HF. :confused:
I have been recording and reporting to the fcc about k9rsy and joe over and over. I know if that i had a jammer in close proximity to me i would track them down. there has to be amatuer stations that live in these holigans neighborhoods. why cant we stop the madness. fine them and jail them now!

...........I have been recording and reporting to the fcc about k9rsy and joe over and over.

Yeah, and a fat lot of good that's been do'in ya. huh ?!

Better be careful Cowboy... modern day vigilante activities will land You in jail, that is, if you're lucky; In hospital or the ground if you're not.

Take a deep breath
--- Ever think of taking up macrame ...?? much less stressful......... ;)

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
“We trained hard—but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we were reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while actually producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization." Gaius Petronius Arbiter (ca. 27 – 66 AD)

There is nothing new under the Sun.

I have thought about this long and hard! (at LEAST 30 seconds)!

This lack of enforcement of rules, all ties back to the first cause of this problem, which is a general lack of attention to enforcement of regulations by the FCC. <( see! I mananged to paraphrase a greek philosopher)>

None of the FCC Commissioners seem to have any personal familiarity with the day to day technical, nuts and bolts problems of radio, or communications systems, consequently FCC higher command sends no clear guidance to FCC middle management on what to do, or how to do it.

This problem has been developing since the AL Gore days when the FCC closed the monitoring stations, fired all the regional personnel, and went to "remote monitoring", which in reality was NO MONITORING.

When the remaining FCC field personnel report back to FCC higher command their reports are met with incomprehension.

The FCC Commissioners are Lawyers, Cell phone lobbyists, congressional staffers, etc., but none of them seems to have ever held a GROL, GMDSS Maintainer, or even a Novice license.
Consequently the lower level FCC personnel have NO clear guidance from higher command.

Lauri Coyote is right, her postings especially the one as quoted above, shows she has a clear understanding of the problem here.

Maybe she can take a morning before she goes to her day job, get her posse, stop at the Portals office building, drain the FCC swamp, and set the FCC enforcement people on the right track.
I think she is eminently qualified for this job, since she is already in DC, and according to her RR bio has experience being a national lab director.

After draining the FCC Swamp in the morning, maybe she can stop for lunch at at the Four Seasons, before she goes back to her real job.

After dealing with the FCC problem, I am sure she will be glad to get back to counting Intermediate Vector Bosons, or whatever she does for the Federal Govt on a daily basis> : 0

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
At the risk of getting political, how much money are we willing to spend for more FCC enforcement? What other parts of the Federal budget would you like to see cut so that more money can be directed to fund FCC activities? And, if we did provide the FCC with more funding, how do we know that it won't be wasted just like many other Federal spending initiatives?

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
At the risk of getting political, how much money are we willing to spend for more FCC enforcement? What other parts of the Federal budget would you like to see cut so that more money can be directed to fund FCC activities? And, if we did provide the FCC with more funding, how do we know that it won't be wasted just like many other Federal spending initiatives?

It's not the money!!!!!!

It's a law enforcement problem, It's a lack of clear direction from the FCC Commissioners.

The FCC higher command just does not have a clue as to how to set priorities,supervise subordinates, do enforcement, etc.
You can't effectively supervise people if you don't understand what they are doing.

Riley Hollingsworth has worked in this swamp and at least has some idea of how to proceed.

Whether he will be given a strong mandate, and be backed up when the whining starts is the main question here.

Awwww..........

Those were awfully sweet compliments, AI8O, :) ...... but I would want that enforcement job like I'd want a sharp stick poked in an eye.
For one thing, I am a "PA"- a Political Appointee.... I serve at 'the pleasure of....' which means a lot of glory(?)... and zip authority. I am an 'advisor,' not much more. And besides, where does anyone start such a cleanup ?

The FCC is such an entrenched bureaucratic _________ (fill in the blank)......

Well, here is a for instance;
When I first got my appointment my sponsors made sure I did the rounds of all the people, offices, agencies etc. that they figured would encompass my interests. It was a wonderfully lively time- and I enjoyed all the doors that my title opened for me.
One was the FCC Administrative Headquarters. During my 'state visit' I casually asked my hosts where the Amateur Radio office or 'division'- whatever its called --was located. A blank look and an embarrassed--

"We'll find that out for you" -- the response.

So draw your own conclusions just how high hobby class radio rates.

-------------
Sorry guys, but I am but a Cassandra.... **

(Ahhh ! But The Four Season's - their steaks !..... I love Georgetown...... now we're talking ! )

Meanwhile, I hope everyone had a reflective Memorial Day... I did. I visited my grandfather and some dear friends at Arlington.

** from Greek mythology:
......... One whose prophecies are not believed by those about them...... My prophecy ? don't hold your collective breaths ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

bill4long

Ha ha ha. We have a few nuts around here that like to admonish us abut rag chewing on 146.520. They claim they’re monitoring for a call. We tell them “we’ll give you a phone call if we hear them calling for you” and resume out chit chat.

Hehe. Love it. 52 is not, nor has ever been, a "calling" frequency. Historically it was very much a ragchew frequency because back in the old days, radio manufacturers generally used to include 146.52 crystals with the radios which made the frequency a popular hang out.

Last edited:

bill4long

I have been recording and reporting to the fcc about k9rsy and joe over and over. I know if that i had a jammer in close proximity to me i would track them down. there has to be amatuer stations that live in these holigans neighborhoods. why cant we stop the madness. fine them and jail them now!

The FCC knows where Dan and Joe live. Now, what if you lived near Dan or Joe (their addresses are on QRZ), would you drive over and beat them up, or what? Idle threats are a joke, and you would get your rear end sued off, and possibily hauled off to jail, if you attempted any vigilante shinangians. Anyone can be a behind-the-radio (or behind-the-computer) tough guy. You just make yourself look foolish.

bill4long

I only hope that he, the League and ultimately the FCC take this whole crusade seriously.

I know you're a relatively new ham, so I will tell you, HF shenanigans have been going on for decades, even back into the 70s, when the FCC " [took the] whole crusade seriously". Not much has changed since then, and not much will change now.

7.2 is a disgusting circus and I don't want hear the tried old, spin the dial or avoid the bad neighborhoods excuses given by the FCC in the past.

Sounds like this is just eating you up inside. Relax. It isn't worth getting worked up over. And, yes, spinning the dial remains to be a very good way to deal with it. Riley Hollingsworth says you should "lighten up". Maybe you should take his advice.

Otherwise, why even bother with this program.....

Justifying one's existence has something to do with it, I suspect.

Furthermore, the 7.2 idiots are not even staying there, I have heard their kind jamming nets, rag chews, etc.. on all manner of frequencies and bands. I suspect mostly because these guys are getting bored of degrading each other and due to the lack of fear of any meaningful enforcement have been venturing all over the place on HF. :confused:

Again, nothing new. Been going on for 50 years at least (that's how long I've been a ham) and will continue regardless of enforcement efforts. The FCC doesn't have the resource to brother with a virtually outmoded radio service, and the OO program (and what will replace it) is a joke. At any rate, HF remains virtual QRM free on most frequencies more of the time. No serious problem exists.

If the FCC actually cared, K9RSY, N2FUV and AC1DD would have been given the boot years ago. (All three of them have received multiple warning letters but no firm action.) Believe me, the FCC knows who they are, where they live, and what they do on the radio.

Last edited:
Why are members here falling for Lauri-Coyote ??

Okay, I have had it with this on going, constant, crap... you misogynistic clowns win......
Good bye !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.