• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Road Devil Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypersight

I have an Astatic Road devil mic (The one with the red case) wired to a President Lincoln 2. I'm getting some reports that my audio sounds a bit tinny and high pitched.
Are there any modifications that I can do to this mic to tame the high pitched tinny audio?

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Well; I think the starter question is "have you tried the stock mike?".
Try adjusting the gain down.
Are you running any "audio toys" (feedback/echo/etc) (disable them,no one likes to listen tot hem anyway)
Anything else 'not stock' (ie: radio -> antenna, not radio->gizmo->antenna)

prcguy

Can you open the mic and post a picture of the cartridge inside? If its the typical Astatic crystal cartridge then you can place a simple disc ceramic cap across it and mellow out the highs. I did this to a mobile D104 type and got it sounding pretty good. If you have the same type cartridge I will open my mic and get the cap value I used.

I have an Astatic Road devil mic (The one with the red case) wired to a President Lincoln 2. I'm getting some reports that my audio sounds a bit tinny and high pitched.
Are there any modifications that I can do to this mic to tame the high pitched tinny audio?

138BG

Any fixes/replacement for the scratchy PTT switch? Rarely use mine because of it. Have used contact cleaner and lube on but never lasts long....

prcguy

Its hard to find exact replacements unless the mfr can supply it. The industry standard for contact cleaners is Deoxit R5. Every recording studio has it on hand and it works better and lasts longer than any other cleaner/lube out there. If all the parts to the switch are there and they make some contact, Deoxit will usually fix it.

Any fixes/replacement for the scratchy PTT switch? Rarely use mine because of it. Have used contact cleaner and lube on but never lasts long....

hypersight

Can you open the mic and post a picture of the cartridge inside? If its the typical Astatic crystal cartridge then you can place a simple disc ceramic cap across it and mellow out the highs. I did this to a mobile D104 type and got it sounding pretty good. If you have the same type cartridge I will open my mic and get the cap value I used.

Thanks for your reply prcguy. After prying the heck out sealed plastic case the mic was encased in, it appears it's an electret mic, not a crystal cartridge.

Attachments

• mic.JPG
    mic.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 7

prcguy

Yea, an electret condenser is a different animal and would need a different approach. Looking at a schematic on line I see there are two op amps in the mic, each with an R/C network in their feedback loop. If its accessible I would try removing C1, which is a 470pf cap. That should lower the high frequency gain of the first op amp and would let you know if its going in the right direction.

If that lowers the highs it might be enough and if not you could diddle the value of cap in the second op amp which is C4 and 4700pf. In both cases you could remove just one lead of the cap to see how it sounds,

Thanks for your reply prcguy. After prying the heck out sealed plastic case the mic was encased in, it appears it's an electret mic, not a crystal cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.