Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I'm going to be making a road trip this weekend to King George Virginia. I'm leaving form Norfolk and plan on taking I-64w to I-295 to I-95n to Ruther Glen exit towards Bowling Green and then through Ft. A.P. Hill.

My question is what sites should I have active on my STARS system. Right now I just have Chesapeake and Hampton Sites running, I'm assuming I'll have to open up Williamsburg and Richmond, Once I pass around Richmond and head North on 95, Is STARS still applicable and if so what sites should I activate? Or do I just leave the Legacy system on and listen through that. I am more interested in VSP, but if there is any other systems that are worth listening to along my route I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks

dtscho

Database Admin
You're going to want to program the Thornburg site and the Edgehill site. King George is covered by VSP Richmond 2 (talkgroup 3).

Dave

KF4ZTO

I agree with Dave, probably a good idea to have the legacy system in your radio too. I would recommend putting VSP TAC (154.665) in your radio and national 2 meter amateur simplex (146.520). If you don't have kids in the car and have a decent antenna, nothing wrong with CB channel 19 (27.185) in there as well. I've found 146.520 to be useful on road trips but as far as knowing about traffic/accidents/weather/pretty much everything else related to the interstate, CB channel 19 is still the hot spot for information, since every truck and still a lot of people who just drive on 95 have 11 meter radios. Just my 2 cents

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Well apparently the snow storm may damper my trip, is there anyone in the King George or Fredricksburg area that can give me an idea of the road conditions up there? The VDOT website doesn't explain much. THANKS!!

fredva

Feed Provider
Trafficland.com

trafficland.com will let you get a real-time visual on the interstates around Richmond and Fredericksburg. You can pick those areas from the city list. Just from a quick glance, it looks like the major roads in Fredericksburg are wet, although as cold as it has been, I wouldn't rule out icy spots. Kinda looks like the Richmond area might have more slush/snow in the fast lanes at this time. Also feel free to listen to my online feed to see how many accidents might be occurring and what law enforcement is saying about the roads.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Made it there and back pretty easily... Listened to VSP the whole way. STARS was only working for me on the Chesapeake, Hampton, Williamsburg, Richmond Sites. Once I got north of Richmond around Ruther Glen and Bowling Green I was only able to pick up VSP on the Legacy system...

Status
Not open for further replies.