Robinson, Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Lately, I've not been hearing much from the Robinson, Texas PD. I don't think I've ever heard Robinson Fire. Since I live nearby in Waco, I was wondering if anyone had any information on whether this town has changed radio status as of late. I've checked the frequencies in the FCC DB & nothing is coming through despite five bars on my PSR 500.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Lately, I've not been hearing much from the Robinson, Texas PD. I don't think I've ever heard Robinson Fire. Since I live nearby in Waco, I was wondering if anyone had any information on whether this town has changed radio status as of late. I've checked the frequencies in the FCC DB & nothing is coming through despite five bars on my PSR 500.
Have you tried resetting their channels' squelch mode to "Search", in case they switched PL tone, or maybe flipped to digital, even though their license does not reflect that? That's what both Erath County & Stephenville did; changed modes to digital operation even though neither is licensed for digital emissions on their FCC license.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Radio Trouble Possible

Have you tried resetting their channels' squelch mode to "Search", in case they switched PL tone, or maybe flipped to digital, even though their license does not reflect that? That's what both Erath County & Stephenville did; changed modes to digital operation even though neither is licensed for digital emissions on their FCC license.

Today, my friend who lives near the Brazos here in town stated that he heard them key up without a diminished signal strength on the previous date.

I checked to make sure the RR DB was up to date regarding the digital transmissions for Erath County since I travel through that county on occasion. The same thing happened in Nolan County. Luckily, the RR DB is accurate for that county as well.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Today, my friend who lives near the Brazos here in town stated that he heard them key up without a diminished signal strength on the previous date.

I checked to make sure the RR DB was up to date regarding the digital transmissions for Erath County since I travel through that county on occasion. The same thing happened in Nolan County. Luckily, the RR DB is accurate for that county as well.
I had submitted the update for Stephenville last fall. Somebody else had already found the digital switch for the county & that had been updated. But I was noticing that I wasn't hearing Stephenville anymore when I visited my friends on the weekends in Stephens County. So, I took a side trip through the Erath area and was able to confirm the unlicensed switch, which I submitted.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Status Update, Robinson, Texas

I had submitted the update for Stephenville last fall. Somebody else had already found the digital switch for the county & that had been updated. But I was noticing that I wasn't hearing Stephenville anymore when I visited my friends on the weekends in Stephens County. So, I took a side trip through the Erath area and was able to confirm the unlicensed switch, which I submitted.

I am sorry, but I don't understand, "unlicensed switch." Are you saying this occurred in Erath county? I recall attempting to identify a digital transmission while traveling through Rising Star. I heard the same frequency while traveling down highway 6. I will have to review my posts to find the frequency.

Regarding Robinson, Texas, I have been hearing them as of late. The signal has diminished from the past. I had to add a very annoying alarm in my PSR 500 to find them.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am sorry, but I don't understand, "unlicensed switch." Are you saying this occurred in Erath county? I recall attempting to identify a digital transmission while traveling through Rising Star. I heard the same frequency while traveling down highway 6. I will have to review my posts to find the frequency.

Regarding Robinson, Texas, I have been hearing them as of late. The signal has diminished from the past. I had to add a very annoying alarm in my PSR 500 to find them.
See this post from last August, regarding my findings for Erath County and Stephenville. What I was referring to, was that both the Erath County S.O., as well as Stephenville PD, both started using P25, digital, on their existing frequencies, but neither updated their licenses to add the correct emission code for that type of transmission. Their licenses still do not show any update.

I haven't been down to the area lately, for any length of time, to try to monitor the other agencies in that area, to verify how many, if any, have also switched over. But many of the county S.O.'s in that region modified their licensing to allow for digital usage, even if they had no immediate plans to switch. Eastland S.O. is a good example. Looking at their license data, they are authorized to use either analog or digital for their communications. I have no idea when, or if, they will change, but I believe they have remained analog so far.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Quest for Frequencies

See this post from last August, regarding my findings for Erath County and Stephenville. What I was referring to, was that both the Erath County S.O., as well as Stephenville PD, both started using P25, digital, on their existing frequencies, but neither updated their licenses to add the correct emission code for that type of transmission. Their licenses still do not show any update.

I haven't been down to the area lately, for any length of time, to try to monitor the other agencies in that area, to verify how many, if any, have also switched over. But many of the county S.O.'s in that region modified their licensing to allow for digital usage, even if they had no immediate plans to switch. Eastland S.O. is a good example. Looking at their license data, they are authorized to use either analog or digital for their communications. I have no idea when, or if, they will change, but I believe they have remained analog so far.

When I travel to the West Texas area, I seem to find new things. The next time I travel will be in May, 2014. I will attempt to save a V-folder after the end of the trip provided I have activated the "store" soft key. If I do make a discovery, I will submit the information with the tones.

The mysterious frequency I encountered while driving back on highway 6 was documented in the following thread. It was 155.6925: http://forums.radioreference.com/texas-radio-discussion-forum/265211-mystery-frequency.html

In this thread, someone correctly identified this frequency as being part of Hill County. Perhaps, this is a P25 mobile frequency, but it is not listed in Hill County DB. ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQCY983 - HILL, COUNTY OF - Frequencies Summary

kc5qih

Amateur Radio Operator and Scanning Enthusiast
Feed Provider
Robinson is still at 155.775 best I know. I heard them just the other day on my handheld and I live in Robinson.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Robinson Hard To Hear

Robinson is still at 155.775 best I know. I heard them just the other day on my handheld and I live in Robinson.

For some reason I've not yet determined, the Robinson PD is much harder to hear than before. I cannot put a time line on when I noticed the diminished signal, but I had to add a special alarm so that I could determine when they keyed up. Do you know if they have purposefully reduced power? Also, since you live there, have you also noticed a diminished signal?

kc5qih

Feed Provider
well their transmitter is on a 200 foot tower just behind their pd and i only live a couple blocks away so I don't notice any drop off. I may grab my handheld radio and see what the relative strength is in other parts of town but I can't tell any difference.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Police Secondary Frequency

well their transmitter is on a 200 foot tower just behind their pd and i only live a couple blocks away so I don't notice any drop off. I may grab my handheld radio and see what the relative strength is in other parts of town but I can't tell any difference.

Interesting. Do you ever hear them key up on their secondary frequency 155.13? Are you aware of any other frequencies they may be using such as Detectives, etc.?

kc5qih

Feed Provider
I didn't even have that frequency plugged into any radio but i'm going to put it in there and see if I hear anything.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Help Needed

I didn't even have that frequency plugged into any radio but i'm going to put it in there and see if I hear anything.

I have attempted to get the listeners in McLennan County to keep the DB updated, but I can use all the help I can get. I still need to go up to LLV & find the other TG's for that TSYS.

Yes, I would appreciate hearing if that frequency is operative. The call sign for Robinson, KEM658 lists the following frequencies for that call sign:

I don't know what radio you're using over there, but my GRE PSR 500 has the "hit count" activated. I can then determine how many times the frequency has been hit.

Again, thanks.

SCPD

QRT
I am currently sitting less than 2 miles from the Robinson PD tower and it has been very active. Rpt out is 155.775 with 158.730 in. It is not a full signal. Appears they have cut power for whatever reason.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Robinson PD: Power Cut Noticed Here Too

I am currently sitting less than 2 miles from the Robinson PD tower and it has been very active. Rpt out is 155.775 with 158.730 in. It is not a full signal. Appears they have cut power for whatever reason.

I don't understand why they would have cut the power, but I can surely hear a significantly reduced signal compared with past transmissions, several years ago. I even had to add a special alarm to that frequency on my PSR 500 in order to hear them.

Thanks for the feedback. What type of radio are you using on this system? I see you have quite a few in your arsenal.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
BCD396T with stock antenna sitting at the Pilot Travel Center. Moving over to the Coca Cola plant in Waco really cuts the signal down. Also the same with the Yaesu FT8800R dual band tranceiver. Use an external mount antenna on that one.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Cool

So, is that where you work? I might mosey on over there one day & look you up. I didn't know I have listeners in my immediate area since I ride my bicycle almost every night on the road beside the Coke plant on Old Hewitt Drive. I live very close to the Coke plant.

So, have you experienced much reception problems with the new Waco Public Safety at the location near the Coke plant? It is awful for my PSR 500.

Yes, I was rolling along just fine until they screwed with it. I know the change was designed to improve communications for those using police radios, but it brought linear simulcast distortion for me.

Hence, I am strongly considering buying a Phase II scanner. Hopefully, this will improve the situation. I've not owned a Uniden Digital, but I like the 436HP.

Yes, there are some problems with it, but Whistler is dragging their feet.

I am thrilled to hear someone is monitoring on my side of town, particularly someone that apparently likes South Park. LOL.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I drive a truck and have a route that puts me at the Coke plant on a fairly regular basis. The Pilot is for waiting. My home is actually in Harker Heights. My 396 does pretty good on the Waco system at the plant and at the Pilot, considering a stock antenna is all I use. Not 100%, but quite acceptable. Also use the Woodway system for Hewitt to see whats up on the other side of I 35. I have my eye on a 436HP. Gotta have the latest greatest, don't you know? Besides it will be more and more likely that Phase 2 systems will pop up so I might as well be prepared.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Coke Plant

I drive a truck and have a route that puts me at the Coke plant on a fairly regular basis. The Pilot is for waiting. My home is actually in Harker Heights. My 396 does pretty good on the Waco system at the plant and at the Pilot, considering a stock antenna is all I use. Not 100%, but quite acceptable. Also use the Woodway system for Hewitt to see whats up on the other side of I 35. I have my eye on a 436HP. Gotta have the latest greatest, don't you know? Besides it will be more and more likely that Phase 2 systems will pop up so I might as well be prepared.

Like I said, I ride my bicycle almost every night by the truckers waiting at the Coke plant on Old Hewitt Drive. If you see an idiot on a hybrid bicycle with two lights on front & two lights on the rear, that is me. I have my trusty PSR 500 strapped to my side. So, if you see me, give me a shout! I see quite a few trucks that look like regulars. I see Stephens Transport a lot.

So, you're not getting severely distorted audio on your Uniden eh? I have difficulty hearing the Street Crimes Unit or USMS on WPD channels H, J, K, or L . It is pronounced & very very annoying. I believe my radio is more susceptible to linear simulcast distortion than your radio.

I've tried using my RS 800 mhz or the RS telescopic center-loaded on Waco. Both work better than stock.

I also have a CB in my vehicle & go by the handle Dirty Dog. I am currently running a Cobra 25 Classic with a K40 antenna & Astatic mic. I had a very nice K40 mic, but the rubber coating on the cord succumbed to the Texas heat. There is about 6 inches of white insulation showing.

So, I'm taking this bad boy to that Duck fellow that everyone speaks highly off near Ross, IH35. I hear he is pretty good & honest.

I have programmed the CB into my PSR 500, but I don't routinely listen when I am at home.

I've met a surprising number of truckers who have digital scanners. Generally speaking, when they see my pregnant roller skate (2008 Nissan Versa) with the K40 and Procomm Mobile antenna, they give me a hard time by teasing me about it. I just laugh & tell them my car is RC & I have not found the person running the remote control.

Oh well, I'm happy to hear someone is on this side of town from time to time.

When I am in Temple or Killeen, I listen to Bell county. Have you ever been in Copperas Cove & heard any radio traffic? I believe they are on ProVoice. Also, Temple PD is hardly ever heard on analog.

I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but there is a P25 Bell County radio system that I cannot figure out. Either the county ran out of funds or something else is amiss.

Happy Trails

SCPD

QRT
I hate CB. 'Nuff said. Don't go to or listen to Cove but I believe they are using ProVoice. I don't have Temple programmed into the 396. Guess I don't know why. Just have not done it. I have not really done anything with the P25 system yet. Since Harris is stopping support on the dreaded ProVoice maybe they will get the new one up and running. Non-encrypted of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.