• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Rockbridge P25 phase 2

lexmedic157

Premium Subscriber
All 8000 series TG are LE operational; the 8100 series TGs are administrative or patching TGs. All 9000 series are F/R; all 9200 are F/R private TGs; all 9300 TGs are for F/R paging. I may have made a misprint for that change for JO3. But all medevacs are done through an analog to P25 patch (typically the Brushy analog repeater) to whatever TG the main units are using. I’ll review the change and resubmit.

Last edited:

lexmedic157

Premium Subscriber
Also, swift water, though originally slated to have its own TG (i.e technical rescue, etc) in actuality have been assigned normal everyday F/R TGs by the dispatchers.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I have 65*** as patching with some seeming dedicated patch talk groups in the 8000 series as well such as 8017,8018, and 8019.

I've seen the analog patched into fire groups before as well as other groups. I don't know what to think about the Glasgow 1 as I've heard them repeatedly on that talk group and heard units as well as dispatch sending or patching talk groups to it. 8102 is what shows up when referenced by such. Fire units have even requested Glasgow 1 be patched into their ops talk group which I've seen plenty of times again using the 65*** series patching.

The Swift Water Rescue was as I said something where fire was dispatched and as the dispatch went out Swift Water Rescue was one of the dispatched parties. When the dispatch under the 65*** patch was done this new talk group I hadn't seen before (8104) had popped up each time I heard a dispatch so I thought it was an alert talk group for them. Never seen it any other time. On DSDPlus the 65*** patch lists all patched talk groups of the dispatch tone out. So Comp 2-9303, Rescue 3-9304, Comp 11-9305, and 8104 would show up when the dispatch was comp 2, rescue 3, comp 11 and swift water rescue.

I'm curious why helos aren't directly on the TRS. I know they have the capability as I've heard helos on Bedford's system and in their system the Landing zone talk groups are phase 2. They have two dedicated helo talk groups on their system. LZ North and LZ South if I remember.

Anyway thanks for the updated info on things, it makes figuring out stuff much easier than trying to piece it together from this and that.

lexmedic157

Premium Subscriber
You are correct that 65001-65200 are system assigned IDs that will pop up when dispatching F/R and BOLs for LE. The F/R side of things are dispatched in a stack which includes Dispatch TG, a page TG and an analog page. When you heard them talking about Glasgow 1, that was early on before some of the analog repeaters were taken off line, particularly a mountain search and rescue. I remember that call. Currently, the only analog repeaters in service are the North, Brushy, and South repeaters.

Dispatch now only gives the helos Brushy (old Brushy 1 analog) to patch 8102 into whatever TG the landing zone coordination is occurring on. We’re still working on getting their radios connected into our system directly, so in the meantime, that’s the way it will be.

Originally, all tech rescue was slated to use Spec Ops 1, as was the helos, but it really hasn’t happened that way so the dispatcher typically just assigns Ops 2-6.

Currently, Ops1 is only for working or assigned structure fires, Ops2 is for EMS, and Ops3 is for single resource incidents like MVCs, trees down, fire alarms, etc. In the portable radios Ops1 is in channel 1 and 16 for fireground safety. All the other apps TG are assigned at the dispatchers discretion to offset the load from a single TG.

lexmedic157

Premium Subscriber
For an update on the helicopters on the Rockbridge system. I am trying to get them on, but they only have P25 ability in 800mhz currently. I’m attempting to convey to them the need to upgrade as Allegheny and possibly other counties are going to P25 on UHF. We’ll see what happens.