Rockbridge Stolen Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the sheriff needs to have someone take his frequency out of the radio if he's not going to take better care of it in public places. Hopefully the store had video surveillance- that would be nice.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm sure there was a legit reason for a volunteer fire fighter to have law enforcement frequencies where he could tranmit :D

But just think, he had interoperability :lol:

P.S. This reminds me of the guy on another forum who "was going to be a fire fighter" and who wanted a ton of fire/ems/police frequencies programmed for TX on a radio I was selling, yeah, no thanks :roll:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
I'm sure there was a legit reason for a volunteer fire fighter to have law enforcement frequencies where he could tranmit :D

But just think, he had interoperability :lol:

P.S. This reminds me of the guy on another forum who "was going to be a fire fighter" and who wanted a ton of fire/ems/police frequencies programmed for TX on a radio I was selling, yeah, no thanks :roll:

a LONG time ago when I was on a volunteer, we had some portables with scan and all the surrounding fire and PD freqs w/ tones. I would always grab one of these in bad weather and/or accidents or calls where the PD was dispatched. it made sense to me to be able to hear what else was happening on-scene before we got there.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
mike_s104 said:
a LONG time ago when I was on a volunteer, we had some portables with scan and all the surrounding fire and PD freqs w/ tones. I would always grab one of these in bad weather and/or accidents or calls where the PD was dispatched. it made sense to me to be able to hear what else was happening on-scene before we got there.

Oh I agree w/ that, but I don't think every volunteer needs transmit enabled on their radio on law enforcement frequencies. That should be left up to the sheriff or police chief of the jurisdiction. Even if they said yes, if I was the fire chief I would veto some of the people from being able to transmit on certain frequencies with their personal (or dept. issued) radios. In my volunteer agency we have most of the radios set up to scan the surrounding fire, rescue & police as well, but the police is receive only.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
In my volly county, only the chief's have the ability to transmit on the LE channels, and they're also the only ones with the "secret" (haha) local government channel in them. All other radios are RX only.

We can TX and RX all surrounding FD & EMS channels on the same band (VHF-Hi).

Back on topic, I'm glad no one was hurt in this stunt, and hope they're able to charge those involved.

richrowl

Stolen Radio Recovered

From the Richmond Times Dispatch

Police chief's son charged in hoax
4 teens accused in fake emergency calls made in Rockbridge
Friday, Mar 28, 2008 - 12:08 AM

By REX BOWMAN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
The son of Lexington's police chief is in trouble with the law. He and a few buddies are accused of using a stolen emergency radio to make fake emergency calls that had law-enforcement officers scrambling in Rockbridge County this month.
A series of calls over a law-enforcement channel -- "Shots fired! Shots fired! Shots fired!" a voice screams in one of the transmissions, then "Two men down!" -- sent five deputies and several Virginia State Police troopers racing to a rural area of the county, where they found nothing but an empty stretch of Stoner Hollow Road.
Now, Justin Crowder, 18, son of Lexington Police Chief Steve Crowder, has been charged with falsely summoning police and willfully transmitting false information about an emergency. Both charges are misdemeanors.
Two other adults, Koubun Timothy Matsumoto, 19, and Byron Jones, 18, face charges of falsely summoning police, and Jones, accused of swiping the emergency radio, also faces a grand larceny charge, said Rockbridge sheriff's Lt. Tim Hickman. A 17-year-old juvenile has also been charged with falsely summoning police.
The incident began to unfold just after 9 p.m. on March 15, when a local volunteer firefighter who works at a convenience store placed his emergency radio on a counter. When he returned for it, it was gone.
About an hour later, a county dispatcher began receiving the frantic transmissions. "Shots fired!" a voice says in the first of the transmissions, a tape of which was obtained by television station WSLS in Roanoke. "Shots fired! Shots fired! Shots fired!" a voice says in a second transmission. The third: "Two men down! We still need backup. Stoner Hollow! Stoner Hollow Road!" And the fourth: "Two suspects with a gun."
WSLS is owned by Media General Inc., which also owns the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Hickman said surveillance footage from the convenience store showed the radio being taken. Investigators then took the images to a local high school resource officer, who recognized the suspects, Hickman said.
He added that the emergency radio has been recovered.
"It's here on my desk."

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Oh man, I'd hate to be in the police chief's shoes right now. I can't imagine the political fall out from having a drone like that as a son....

MOTORHEAD3902

I must admit, based on personal experience, that turds happen in the best of families. The trick is to identify those turds in your family and take steps to prevent collateral damage.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
BoxAlarm187 said:
Oh man, I'd hate to be in the police chief's shoes right now. I can't imagine the political fall out from having a drone like that as a son....

What can you do? Remember when the Chesterifield chief's son and his buddies smoked some port, got the munchies, dialed 911 instead of 411--and hung up?!

I guess some kids have become candidates for the Darwin Report so that the rest will learn cause-and-effect. Sheesh!

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.