Rockingham/Augusta Game Warden CPO freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1hank1

I've been noticing a lot of Game Warden, or CPOs, activity in my area of Augusta County over the last 2 weeks. Direct correlation with hunting season, I'm sure. But it has peaked my interest as they've been sitting in the dark on my dead-end road in the early evening/dusk times. I'm not hearing any chatter on the radio through dispatch, but I'm curious if the officers have a talk around channel to communicate with each other on. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so do you know the freq?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
They may be using their VR channels in direct mode or other simplex comms including off books channels. If you have a Uniden capable scanner try the close call mode and see if anything pops up. In some of the other brands you can set something similar and choose the bands. I'd pick VHF and 700 myself.

Don't know if simplex would be encrypted like the STARS system is so you may luck out if they are talking between themselves.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
They also utilize Augusta Sheriff's (460.400) and Rockingham Sheriff Patrol 1 on the ProVoice system. I don't listen to Augusta often, but in Rockingham the Sheriff's channel seems to be utilized by the GW's marking on/ off duty as well as backing up other units if they are in the area. I think most of the dispatch traffic for the GW units is handled through their Richmond HQ on STARS. I don't believe all of the units mark on/off through the Sheriff's Office, but one or two do.

I believe most of their talk around traffic is on STARS, Region 4 Tac, but the vehicle repeater frequencies are a good idea. There is one GW unit in the area who has been consistently in the clear. When speaking with other units or Richmond HQ, they are encrypted, but he is in the clear. I don't know if this is on purpose.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Is the GW Radio ID 6 digit or 5 digit? Cause I've noticed a lot of the newer Radio IDs, they're in the clear.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Is the GW Radio ID 6 digit or 5 digit? Cause I've noticed a lot of the newer Radio IDs, they're in the clear.

I'm not sure... I'll check next time I hear him and let you know,

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I believe the 6 digits UID's are newer, is this correct? All of the GW UID's I have are 5 digits, but I don't have his recorded.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Yea, the newer APX series radios are 6 digit. I've noticed at least 3 or 4 DGIF units in the clear, you might even come across a couple of 5 digit Radio IDs are in the clear. I don't think their encryption is strapped, I think it's user selectable, much as all the other users on STARS

tglendye

Premium Subscriber

I heard the unit again yesterday and it is a 6 digit RID. I also checked back to my notes and previously had the same 6 digit RID for the same unit, as well as a 5 digit for him. I am thinking he must have switched between mobile and portable during the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.