Rogers Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriley

Yesterday I was hearing all the communications during this event which lasted till the afternoon. This was in Hennepin county and I'm way up in northern MN. Why was I hearing this?

I did hear them say as it wound down they were going back to 'their normal channel'. Was I hearing some sort of statewide thing? I think the scanner said '32'.

Thanks, just curious.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here's my best guess. Given the number of agencies responding to this incident, they probably assigned communications for that incident to one (or more) of the Statewide Interoperability Talkgroups. These are the F TACs, L TACs or E TACs. Or they may have patched in a Hennepin County talkgroup to a state tac talkgroup.

A savvy radio user (police officer or firefighter) from your area, probably tuned his/her radio to the state tac talkgroup to listen in on the incident. When a user selects one of those talkgroups, a link is set up between the site in your area and any other sites where a user has selected the talkgroup. (It's the "magic" of the Minnesota system).

So because an emergency responder in your area was listening to the Rogers incident on a state tac talkgroup he created a link that you were able to "piggy back" on to with your scanner.

Here's kind of an example, the way I understand the system. Let's say a state trooper in Minneapolis is in pursuit. The state patrol dispatchers will patch the state patrol district talkgroup to L TAC 1. (That's so any Minneapolis units which may assist can talk to the trooper). A police officer in Duluth can switch his portable to L TAC 1 and can listen to the pursuit (at least as long as they keep the patch in place).

A similar thing occurred years ago when the 35W bridge collapse occurred in Minneapolis. Several "outstate" users "tuned in" to the talkgroups being used. There was (and may still be) a report describing this on the state radio board site. The downside of this is that it ties up a voice channel for the "outstate" areas, reducing voice channels available for use in the given "outstate" area.

This is a pretty technical thing and trying to explain it simply can be a challenge. Hopefully I've helped you make heads or tails of this.

Last edited:

stmills

TG 32 is ME Tac 1- Metro Tac 1- This was used by Law Enforcement on this incident, Hennepin Fire 3 was the Fire Talkgroup, I also caught traffic on STAC 1- not sure if it was a patch or not. I suspect that ME Tac 1 was patched to a Statewide Tac channel - it would not normally have tower access outside the Metro- but you will some time pick up a regional channel in a different region because of a patch to a statewide resource. Depending on the order that the patch is created depends on how the scanner world sees it but with a patch you can see an talkgroup that would normally be denied on a tower have access because it is tied to a Statewide group that has access.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Minnesota state system is truly a marvel of radio engineering! There are so many resources that things it can do, that make a guy down here in Kentucky truly envious.

yahghost

I listened to a chase from Park Rapids that went down yesterday in Anoka county and i swear it was right outside on hwy 34 in park Rapids

Status
Not open for further replies.