Rookie Question, 446.000

Status
Not open for further replies.

katt02

Katt
Hi All,
Ive got a bit of a rookie question here. I am very close to receiving my ham license I was reading about the national simplex calling frequency 446.000. I was wondering, because many different websites are unclear, is I am allowed to use 446.000 as a general frequency with portable radios. Would I be allowed to have a full blown conversation on this channel with other hams or am I supposed to move to a different channel.

Thanks, Katt

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Ive got a bit of a rookie question here. I am very close to receiving my ham license I was reading about the national simplex calling frequency 446.000. I was wondering, because many different websites are unclear, is I am allowed to use 446.000 as a general frequency with portable radios. Would I be allowed to have a full blown conversation on this channel with other hams or am I supposed to move to a different channel.

Thanks, Katt
You would be permitted under the rules to have any accepted use of that frequency for as long as you wanted.

Yeah there is an unwritten "gentleman's" agreement to move to different freq. That is sometimes not followed everywhere...

BTW my last 446 contact was to an airline pilot...

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hi All,

Thanks, Katt
There is so little traffic on that channel and it is the only official simplex calling channel for FM operations in 70CM so I would say talk as long as you want but let others break in.

I could never understand why in 6M there are domestic and international calling channels. If no one is listening to one or the other, opportunity is lost for DX.

bharvey2

I very much enjoy 2M simplex (146.520 Mhz). I can usually make contacts every time I call out. However, 70cm simplex (446.000 Mhz) rarely has traffic. I think the only time I've heard traffic on it was during contests and often 2M is used to make initial contact and a switch-over to 70cm is attempted. My contacts are a bit longer that what many would consider a "calling channel" communication. Most are 5 minutes or less although I've had a few longer. I just pause periodically to let others in if they desire to do so.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Around here, if someone was having any length conversation on 446 MHz the ham community would be both surprised and pleased to see the activity.

Much congratulations on the new ticket.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Congrats on your ticket as well. When I lived in Panama City Beach awhile back I was talking to another local until we had a distant amateur radio operator about 80 miles in Alabama talking to us which was nice to see.

- Jamie N4CYA

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I have one antenna and radio dedicated to monitoring 146.52 and 446.000 full-time. I've many contacts on 2m, but very few on 70cm. The only band with even less activity is 220...

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Very few people use UHF for calling or even rag chewing. People who want those things use VHF 146.52 because VHF has superior range. In Phoenix 146.52 is often used for long-winded rag chewing by people with base stations, much to the dismay of local radio cops. Never mind the fact that anyone can call for a break and get one, and get through, even handheld, and actually talk to people (gasp)...still, some come on to admonish rag chewers for daring to have a conversation on that frequency. UHF is a dead zone in Phoenix outside of repeater use for the most part.

Anything outside of FCC regulations is just a suggestion.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
As others have noted, it is a suggestion to not have conversations on the calling freqs. There is no rule/law against it.

I have had short conversations 146.520, while driving cross country, either with other driving hams, or local hams. Sometimes others would join in, and we would have five of us.

I have had a nice talk with someone, on 446.000, that reported to be a little over 100 miles from me. We were both mobile, at about 1 AM, so we did not have anyone else trying to use the freq.

Sent using Tapatalk

ergbert

I never hear ANYONE on 446. Only heard someone one time during a snowstorm on 146.52, and they moved off frequency pretty quickly. I'm only ever on a handheld, though, as I haven't gotten a radio in my vehicle yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.