• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

RS Pro-106 Power Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8HDU

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know for certain the specications for the power plug which goes into the side of the radio? It appears that it's a 4mm barrel, but I'm unsure of the center pin. Manual doesn't say. I'm trying to make a custom power cable for my radio.

From the service manual the power jack is Hosiden part number HEC3110-01-010. The mating plug has an outside diameter of 4.75 and an inside diameter of 1.7. This is Radio Shack's type C adaptaplug.

Attachments

W8HDU

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, guys. Looks like that 4.75 x 1.7 mm plug is rare. We don't have a Radio Shack anymore so I'll have to web-order it. Thanks again for the information.

Just for reference, you can also buy the Whistler made AC adapter compatible with the PRO-106 here. I use it with my PRO-106 and it works perfectly.

DJ11DLN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, guys. Looks like that 4.75 x 1.7 mm plug is rare. We don't have a Radio Shack anymore so I'll have to web-order it. Thanks again for the information.
Shouldn't be necessary. My home power supply for my 651 (same as your 106) actually came from Menard's, it was a variable/selectable voltage wall wart with interchangeable tips a la the RS Adaptaplug method. The tips are only marked for polarity, I just matched up the one that was identical to my RS lighter plug supply. Cost about $10 IIRC, and works well, no switching-supply RFI that I can detect. I'd think that any big box store would have something similar if you don't want to do the online thing.

W8HDU

Premium Subscriber
Just for reference, you can also buy the Whistler made AC adapter compatible with the PRO-106 here. I use it with my PRO-106 and it works perfectly.
That just made it A LOT better.

My scanner had one of the whit power cords, and to make it look nicer I was trying to make it black. I already made a nice stand for the scanner which is black/gloss powder coat.

The Whistler PS made this a whole lot simpler.

...The Whistler PS made this a whole lot simpler.
The Whistler price of $9.95 is decent also. When Radio Shack used to sell all of their various adapters and plugs before bankruptcy, the price used to be $15 for the 9V 800mA adapter (#2730355) with the Adaptaplug C (#2730336) used for the PRO-106.

Status
Not open for further replies.