RS PRO 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfking123

Premium Subscriber
Is it worth upgrading the 668 for $60.00 to get the Whistler firmware? And does it improve sensitivity and other internal workings? Thanks to all who can give me some information about this..

AtlasFBG2

My opinion unless you want to hear DMR it is not worth it.

I have the hacked firmware on mine and notice no difference on the systems in my area.

rfking123

Premium Subscriber
My opinion unless you want to hear DMR it is not worth it.

I have the hacked firmware on mine and notice no difference on the systems in my area.
I sort of figured that............ Dmr really no interest for. Thanks a lot for your reply Atlas.........

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Yes. I have one and really. Not hacked, sent it to Whistler. I can now keep firmware and software up to date.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I upgraded my PRO 668 and find it to be a more sensitive and seems to scan trunked systems better. Not to mention the availability of firmware upgrades in the future and the DMR capability. For me it was well worth the small investment and I've been very happy with the performance.

rfking123

Premium Subscriber
I upgraded my PRO 668 and find it to be a more sensitive and seems to scan trunked systems better. Not to mention the availability of firmware upgrades in the future and the DMR capability. For me it was well worth the small investment and I've been very happy with the performance.
Nice!!!! What the heck, I blew $60.00 before on junk why not thew upgrade..... Thanks for the input. I have nothing to lose, so I will make the investment!

JAWSxs

Premium Subscriber
Does the 668 get the same amount of firmware updates/revisions as the newer models? DMR isn't really important atm. It would be my luck to send in the scanner and Whistler never update the firmware again. Thanks for any info!

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Does the 668 get the same amount of firmware updates/revisions as the newer models? DMR isn't really important atm. It would be my luck to send in the scanner and Whistler never update the firmware again. Thanks for any info!
The 668 hasn't had a CPU or DSP firmware update for almost 3yrs and either has iscan, it is several dozen updates behind the ws1080,

When you do the legacy upgrade, you get your scanner firmware updated with the ability to get future updates you can do via ezscan for the WS1080.

Your 668 then becomes a whistler ws1080 in a 668 shell.

You also get to use ezscan that still gets updates.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I had a RS Pro 18 and a GRE PSR 800 both updated. I have no problems with simulcast, and my area has added several DMR systems in the last few months. Definitely worth the cost compared to a new purchase.

JAWSxs

Premium Subscriber
Your 668 then becomes a whistler ws1080 in a 668 shell.

thanks for the info! Nice to know Whistler still updates their products.

I just checked my area and it does seem to have DMR popping up in a few areas.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
For me it was a no brainer. Radio Shack is out of business and no longer supports any of their products. With the Whistler $60 DMR Legacy Upgrade you get Whistler support for your 668 moving forward and will also get all of the future Whistler tweeks, fixes and firmware updates for the WS-1080.

k5xs

Premium Subscriber
I did it. It _SEEMS_ more sensitive, but that may be my brain trying to validate my spending.

As others have said, though, I now have a path to upgrades that I lost when R/S went belly up.

I'm glad I upgraded. And the service was really fast.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Question I'm about to buy a pro-668 that powers up but is password locked. I understand how to reset the password with iscan but what if after I reset password I find it is also been hacked and locked. So if all else fails, Does Whistler still do the $120 (legacy upgrade and fix anything fee) even if it's a hacked and locked unit? I'm betting it's just a reset password issue and then a stock pro-668 which I could then do the $60 Whistler Legacy Upgrade.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
If you don't need the DMR protocol, no. I'm still rocking a PSR-800 with whatever the last firmware was and it does just fine with all of my phase 1 and phase 2 P25 systems as well as conventional.

minasha

A firmware upgrade has nothing to do with front end sensitivity. The only way to make a receiver hotter is with hardware changes and that would mean sending in the scanner to Whistler and a price much higher than $60. No need to justify your spending ,$60 is very reasonable to update an otherwise outdated scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.