RS programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

varstrom

Hi all,

I have a 20-047 programming cable and a Dell computer. It says when it's plugged in the USB port, "New hardware device" should come up. Well, I tried every USB port and nothing. I can't get this cable to work.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sue

DewAddict

How old is the Dell computer and are you sure the USB ports are working properly on the computer. Have you tried other USB devices on it. It is possible that you have a defective cable but more likely a problem with your USB ports. What operating system are you running?

You can check the status of your USB ports by going to "start" - "settings" - "Control panel" - "system" - then find the "hardware" tab and "device manager" button. At the bottom of the list of hardware should be something about the "USB" ports Look for any yellow question marks next to it and let me know what you find.

Leave the cable plugged in while you do this.

Rob

Bucko

It has been a while since I got mine but if I remember correctly I had to install the drivers on the CD that came with the 20-047. It also used Com port 4 instead of Com port 1, at least it does on mine. As DewAddict stated it should show this in the Device manager if it is functioning correctly.

jeffrey420

What OS are you using?

Try a usb on the back of the computer. I had a device that would only work on the back ports, not a hub. Front are usually hubs.

varstrom

Serial port setup

Ok, this is what my system says:

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Intel(R) 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller 24d2
" " 24d4
" " 24d7
" " 24de
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB <-> Radio Scanner Cable (THIS IS IN YELLOW)
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Thanks for all the help!

DewAddict

Ok your cable driver needs to be loaded most likely. To do this, right-click on the radio shack cable listed and select properties. Then re-install the driver using the option on the screen.

When it asks you, click on "specifiy a location of my driver" and make sure the cd-rom drive is checked. Now load your cd in to the drive and hit next. It should find the driver for you and install it. I could be more precise as to the exact steps word for word, but I don't have access to the hardware here on my work computer so i am going by memory.

Hope that fixes it for you.

Rob

Last edited:

varstrom

It looks like it accepted the driver, but when I try to download from scanner in Win96 this is what I get:

"Expected to read back the data we just wrote - This failed. Ensure the correct COM port is selected, a supported cable is attached to the COM port and scanner and the scanner is turned on."

The scanner says:

Clone mode
up to send
remove cable to exit.

varstrom

I've tried all the USB ports in front and back and still nothing. I get the same errors. I have Windows XP. When I tried the cable at work, it worked fine. The hardware device manager accepted the new driver, but I didn't have my scanner with me so I couldn't really test it. So I know the cable works ok.

DewAddict

Load WIN96 and select "Configuration" from the top menu. Select com port 4 from the list. I had to do the same thing in order for it to work on my scanner. It should now read/write the scanner info.

If you still have a problem, you may have to download a small patch file from the radio shack web site. My brother had to do this because for some reason his computer did not accept the Radio Shack cable. He ended up buying an off brand Serial to USB cable from Walmart for $25 and uses it. It works much better.

I'll look for the file on the Rad Shack site. This is a known issue at Radio Shack as they mention it on various google sites.

Rob

Last edited:

varstrom

Ok, I was just in Win96 and in configuration changed the COM port to 4 and I was able to download the scanner. Did I just fix this thing?

DewAddict

It sounds like you may have. Try uploading to the scanner as well to make sure data will travel both ways. And from now on, Plug the cable into the same USB port to make sure it all goes well.

Rob

varstrom

Rob,

I did what you said. I tried the upload and it worked. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it still worked. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it!!! You're a life saver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B.T.W. Mountain Dew does rock!!!

This site is the best! I can't wait to to upload my information and start hearing everything.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I guess a point to remember about these (RS, Uniden, others) USB cables that are used for scanners is that they are basically a USB -> Serial cable adapter. All the radios still use a RS-232 interface (and hence the software is written that way), not a USB interface. This will probably not change in the foreseeable future.

For this reason I have one USB->Serial adapter and all my radio cables are DB9 to whatever the radio connector is (regular serial cable).

Status
Not open for further replies.