R30 RT Systems WCS-R30 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

I'm wishing now I had gone with Butel. I have had really great success in the past with RT Systems on ham handhelds and mobile units but their R30 software is extremely slow and very buggy. I would not recommend it.

Good luck mate.

You'll grow tired of the Butel software. There are several threads regarding the 4 available options. Icom, RT Systems, Butel, and direct spreadsheet CSV import/export.

Here is one https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=380831&share_fid=15920&share_type=t

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Nick,
Unusual you are having that level of difficulty. I would call customer service and share your issues.
Good Luck,
Mike

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
You'll grow tired of the Butel software. There are several threads regarding the 4 available options. Icom, RT Systems, Butel, and direct spreadsheet CSV import/export.

Here is one https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=380831&share_fid=15920&share_type=t

Does Butel continually crash? If not then it’s got to be better that RTS. But at $15 I don’t expect much.

I don’t use tapatalk so was unable to pursue. I did search for R30 software and read a few threads and felt like RTS was middle of the road quality, also based on prior experience. I bought mt R30 on eBay but the seller did not include the Icom software because he couldnt find it. I would like to try it someday though.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Does Butel continually crash? If not then it’s got to be better that RTS. But at $15 I don’t expect much.

I bought mt R30 on eBay but the seller did not include the Icom software because he couldnt find it. I would like to try it someday though.

If RTS is constantly crashing there is a problem with your computer.

The R30 doesn't come with software, it's extra cost. It wasn't available when the R30 was released. That's likely why the R30 wasn't sold with software.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
If RTS is constantly crashing there is a problem with your computer.

The R30 doesn't come with software, it's extra cost. It wasn't available when the R30 was released. That's likely why the R30 wasn't sold with software.

I was beginning to think the same thing about my computer but went ahead and bit the Icom bullet and bought the Icom software. Runs like a champ, never crashes and is much faster than RTS. The only negative, it doesn't import RR downloads.

One thing I learned about the R30. Mine came with 1.10 firmware and would not run with the Icom software until I installed 1.04. Just based on the version number it looks like a roll back but Icom support says that's the latest version.

The RTS software only crashes now when I try to cut/paste more than 20 rows of data. So I use it to download RR data and convert it to CSV for the Icom software.

All is well in R30 land......

dmaria

If you look at Icom's website, V1.04 is from May 2018 and V1.10 is from September 2018. You don't have the latest firmware.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
If you look at Icom's website, V1.04 is from May 2018 and V1.10 is from September 2018. You don't have the latest firmware.

I realize that but the Icom R30 software doesn't work with V1.10. I get a warning window that says incompatible model or wrong software.

I may backup my files and re-install 1.10 again. One would think Icom could get that right.

Hit_Factor

I realize that but the Icom R30 software doesn't work with V1.10. I get a warning window that says incompatible model or wrong software.

I may backup my files and re-install 1.10 again. One would think Icom could get that right.

Icom got it right. You need a little help and then you'll be right too

The software needs to be updated to 1.10 from 1.04, the software update file is there next to the 1.10 firmware.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Icom got it right. You need a little help and then you'll be right too

The software needs to be updated to 1.10 from 1.04, the software update file is there next to the 1.10 firmware.

It didn’t seem intuitive to me nor was there a warning that a newer version of firmware and/or software was available. But now that I know the details I’ll update both when I get some play time.

Hit_Factor

It didn’t seem intuitive to me nor was there a warning that a newer version of firmware and/or software was available. But now that I know the details I’ll update both when I get some play time.

I agree it wasn't well documented. But the software works fast.

Let us know how it goes.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I agree it wasn't well documented. But the software works fast.

Let us know how it goes.
Ahhh, all is well now in R30 land..... Upgraded the software first, strange Icom doesn't have a pulldown to check for new software but at any rate it's running fine and the R30 is now running V1.10 firmware so we are all up to date and working fine.

I downloaded a small CSV file from RR, about 20 P25 non-trunked frequencies but the Icom software would not import it. When I get time I'll use the RTS software and import it, upload to the R30 and then read it back in the Icom software. Sort of going way around the bend to get things accomplished but I'm likely overlooking something simple with the Icom software.

Getting ready for an Alaskan cruise this week and haven't had a lot of radio play time. If the R30 had DMR capability I'd be taking it with me but will sub my TRX-1 instead.

Thanks to Hit_Factor for helping me along this learning journey.

ENlGMA_Guru

Downloaded the software this morning, updated my ftdi drivers, Win7 Pro recognizes my R30, The R30 indicates usb-com on the display. Software will not read the radio. I tried three different cables including one that works well with my AOR DV1 but still nothing.

Surely the software works with generic cables? Does RTS require "their" cable? Butel doesn't limit their buyers to proprietary cables.

Comments? Ideas?

Is there a trial version of the software prior I place my order since I have read some many odd things about it?

Barnstormer7

RT and Butel are frustrating at best, even when working to spec. Nothing like spending the extra money for Icom's software which works perfect for me.

Hit_Factor

RT Systems has the bugs ironed out. It's still slow. One thing it excels at is copy and paste between RT Systems software I have for various radios.

If you don't have multiple radios that are supported by RT Systems, the Icom software is the clear leader.

Barnstormer7

Hi
Its interesting, but I'm faced with the exact same problem with programming my brand new R30, but my radio settings were Not set as you guys have suggested. I downloaded and installed the recommended usb drivers and my R30 has the latest firmware.
Unfortunately, I live in Australia so calling Rt Sytems is a little more difficult, although I have sent them an email with the error messages.

So I will be interested to hear any other posts about this problem.

John
It's not your computer! I have 5 PC's and tried the RT on all and everyone has problems. Numerous calls to so called"customer service" with no help. They keep saying they are trying to work out the bugs. I noticed there must be some RT sales subcontractors on this forum. The constant crashing while trying to load data, copy and paste and transfer data is what made me switch to Icoms CS-R30 which works perfect and 3 times faster than the homemade aftermarket junk. IMO

Last edited:

Barnstormer7

Hello John,

Be sure to download the Icom R30 USB driver, that one seems to work best. Make sure you updated the software also.

My conclusion is that RT Systems software is not ready for prime time. I spent several hours the other day trying to import CSV frequency files into my R30. I'm guessing the software crashed more than twenty times. It seems unable to handle large amounts of data, even simple chores like cut and paste within the software caused it to crash.

Worst issue was that the software wrote twelve P25 frequencies over an analog bank, not the bank I had selected during import. When it wrote the frequencies it eliminated the 800mhz portion and only transferred the kHz portion. The R30 did not like this at all and when you turn it off and back on it did a full reset.

Also, the user is forced to set RFgain to Max manually, the software defaults to RFgain1 in every row.

I changed settings in the two settings windows but sometimes those changes did not take so had to make changes in the radio settings and save it back to the software to have a valid copy.

I'm wishing now I had gone with Butel. I have had really great success in the past with RT Systems on ham handhelds and mobile units but their R30 software is extremely slow and very buggy. I would not recommend it.

Good luck mate.
Your right

Last edited:

Barnstormer7

I was beginning to think the same thing about my computer but went ahead and bit the Icom bullet and bought the Icom software. Runs like a champ, never crashes and is much faster than RTS. The only negative, it doesn't import RR downloads.

One thing I learned about the R30. Mine came with 1.10 firmware and would not run with the Icom software until I installed 1.04. Just based on the version number it looks like a roll back but Icom support says that's the latest version.

The RTS software only crashes now when I try to cut/paste more than 20 rows of data. So I use it to download RR data and convert it to CSV for the Icom software.

All is well in R30 land......
All the negative reviews on the RT site says it all. It crashed constantly on all my PC'c also. The Icom software has no issues.

Hit_Factor

All the negative reviews on the RT site says it all. It crashed constantly on all my PC'c also. The Icom software has no issues.
I don't doubt you are getting crashes, but that usually a sign of a problem with the system/hardware. I don't have crashes on my PCs, I had one at work the other day and it startled me, it's so infrequent. This isn't really the forum for system issues, I would recommend combing through the system event log and looking up the errors and resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.