• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RT8 Help Needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I have just received a Retevis RT8.

I am not exactly a novice, but I just cannot work out this problem.

I have a local DMR station that I am trying to listen to.

I installed the driver/software etc an that is up and running.

I have programmed in an Analogue local station. That works. The same 'L' an X are always present on the screen, but the squelch opens and audio is received. So the radio is working.

I programmed the DMR frequency, Color Code and Slot OK (got that info from my Whistler Scanner), as Channel 1.

Some of the transmissions are clear, some sound like basic encryption, on my scanner . no audio on the RT8 ever.

Now to the RT8 specifics

1. The display shows Zone 1 Channel 1 and the name I assigned to the channel is moving from right to left. The green led at the top is showing.

2. The Loudspeaker Icon has an X next to it at all times There is a square with 'L' in it to the left of that. (Does that indicate the channel is 'locked'?)

3. I am sharing the same antenna between the scanner and the RT8.

4. When the station transmits it appears on the scanner, showing details, and there is audio. Nothing on the RT8.

5. No audio on the RT8. Pressing button 1 re 'MONITOR' has no effect. No Icon shows as in an analogue channel.

6. I also set up a long press to what I think should be the de-scrambler. Still the 'X' and no audio.

7. There is an 'S-Meter' reading.

8. The two logos on the right are
a. a shield with 2 blue quarters (if I ong press Button 1 that changes to red).
b. an arrow pointing right

I am presumably missing something.

Any help would be very much appreciated. An 'Idiots guide' is probably best, lol.

Cheers

jim202

I would start with the speaker symbol having an X in it. But let me ask, is this the spaeaker symbol at the bottom right of your computer screen? If so, then the sound on the computer is shut off. You need to right click on the speaker symbol and select audio properties. When the next window comes up, in the lower left of that screen is a box that says "Mute All". My guess is that box is checked. Left click on the box to un mute the sound. Close that window and go back to doing what you want.

If it is in another program, then I don't have a clue how to walk you through the problem.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.

Nothing to do with the P.C. or a program. The icons are the ones shown on the RT-8 screen, when disconnected from the P.C. for programming.

Not sure what the 'L' in the box or Speaker'X' are trying to get over on the radio's display?

With an analogue signal, when the squelch opens a speaker icon appears to the left of those and there is audio, however the other 2 icons remain the same.

Although this is an RT-8 I imagine whatever I am not doing right applies to other recent Retevis units too.

Cheers

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Getting there

Hooray, thanks to Mike I am beginning to get somewhere.

Squelch opening and receiving encrypted audio.

I think it is fairly simple encryption as I can almost work out words like 'O.K.'

Could still do with advice re programming the encryption/decryption on receive though.

I can see the various option in the software.

The only DMR signal I can get here is the local Bus Station (Devon).

Anyone out there who can give me any clues about the encryption they use and if the RT-8 can decrypt it please?

I am not deeply interested in what they actually say, but as it is the only one I can experiment with any pointers would be very useful.

Cheers

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.