RTL with SDR# what am i missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Hello all. Im trying to get started with SDR using one of those RTL dongles, and seem to be stuck. Im using SDR#. I seem to have gotten the program to recognize the dongle, but cant get it to make it work. Ive tried messing with various settings (which there arent many) in the software with no results. Heres a screenshot of what im looking at. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

sdrsharp_zps87be8cce.jpg

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
You have to select RTL-SDR/USB from the drop down. Have you configured your driver using zadig yet?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SquierStrat

ah, yes. i did attempt that last night, but when i went to click "replace driver" a message pops up saying "the driver installation failed". Any idea how to fix that?

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
Make sure WinUSB gets installed, but also make sure you rename bulk-in interface (interface 0) to something short like "interface" using the check box to the right of the drop down in zadig

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
Did you use the version of SDR# that installs from a bat file?

gandalf58

Hi

When you run Zadig and do list all devices choose RTL2832U not bulk interface and ensure winusb is installed as driver. When you run Sdr# choose RTL-USB then play

Hope this makes sense

rbm

Here are the instructions for the driver.
Zadig - USB driver installation made easy

Nothing else will work correctly until the proper driver is installed.
So, that MUST be completed successfully before you can go any further.

Then, as tylerwatt metioned, "You have to select RTL-SDR/USB from the drop down".
That also MUST be done.
Any error when you try to select that in the drop down box normally means that the driver is NOT installed.

You didn't say which version of Windows you have. There are some installation differences depending on Windows versions.

You can also refer to an earlier post of mine here. Too much to copy over here.
http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/278094-how-get-started.html#post2071638

Rich

Edit: It also appears that you have an 'antique' version of SDR#
They're up to version 1.0.0.1172 now.

Last edited:

SquierStrat

Yes, i downloaded the version with the .bat file. And it said it wasnt compatible with my version of windows, which is windows 7 64 bit

Last edited:

rbm

yes, i downloaded the version with the .bat file. Went to run it and an MS-DOS looking window popped up for half a second, and that was it... should there have been more? or do i need to copy and paste those files into the sdr-stable directory?

The bat file downloaded and unzipped the required files into the 'sdrsharp' folder.
Those files then need to be copied into the folder that you will run SDRSharp from.

That 'Stable' version is very old and you shouldn't waste time with it.
The install.bat file downloads the most recent version and that includes many updates and fixes beyond what used to be called the stable version.

It should download v 1172 for you today.
And there are also some changes to the zadig file for the most recent dongles. Not all of them will work with older zadig drivers.
So, you want the very latest driver that I pointed to in my previous post.

By the way, I'm running all of mine on a Windows 64 bit machine also. You'll notice on the driver page they indicate that 32 bit and 64 bit uses the same driver.

Rich

Last edited:

SquierStrat

i did all of that, and when i go to open sdrsharp, im getting a message saying "the version of this file is not compatiable with the version of windows you're running" I also get the same message when i go to run the "zadig.exe" file in that folder.. (the folder thats created when using the .bat file)

rbm

FIRST, did the zadig driver installation go as indicated in instructions?

If so, try this:
Browse to the sdrsharp folder where the latest version was download and unzipped to.

Then:
Start the SDRSharp application that is in that folder.

Does it run without an error message? If it does, you may have a file mismatch in your other folder.
That's a common problem if you tried installing SDRSharp manually the first time instead of using the install.bat file.

Also, if you wish, you can send me your email address in a pm and I'll zip one of my verified and operational SDRSharp folders and send it to you.

Rich

Edit: One other thing. Your user authority 'may' keep the driver from installing properly.
If so, you can right click on zadig and select 'Run as administrator' to see if that helps

Last edited:

rbm

There's a little program called 'rtl_test' that will verify your driver installation.
It is available within this 'RelWithDebInfo' download.

And for your version of windows, use the one in the X64 bit folder.

( \RelWithDebInfo.zip\rtl-sdr-release\x64 )

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/rtl-sdr/RelWithDebInfo.zip

If you unzip that into a folder and run 'rtl_test' in a DOS window, it will let you know if it can even see your USB dongle.

You 'could' just double click on 'rtl_test' application without going into a DOS window, but the DOS box will just flash on by if it doesn't find one installed.

It will not show anything if it can't find a dongle installed.

It will just sit there with the following display if it finds an R820T tuner, so you'll have to 'X' out of the window.

Rich

Edit: One additional note. SDR# should NOT be installed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)' it will most likely NOT run from that location.

Attachments

• rtl_test.gif
    rtl_test.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 3,171
Last edited:

SquierStrat

No, the zadig driver tool has not successfully worked yet. SDR sharp doesnt seem to "install" anything, it just unzips and creates folders. So i deleted all of those folders/everything and decided to start over with fresh downloads.

the first thing i went to do was re try the zadig driver tool; the one thats included in the folder the .bat file creates. it is still saying "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows youre running". Ive tried running it as an administrator, and also in compatibility mode, with no results. The executable sdrsharp file in that folder also gives the same message when i try to open it. So i tried, again, directly downloading the zadig tool, and am getting the same "the driver installation failed" message as before. Ill PM you my email address right now...

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
You renamed the device to something simple too right?

SquierStrat

not this time, since i cant even get the zadig.exe file to open.. (im using, or i should say attempting to use, the one included in the SDR# .bat file)

rbm

Here is the screen capture of the driver I'm using on Win7.
It is installed by 'zadig_v2.0.1.162' per the instructions in my prior post.

Make sure when you run the zadig application that you select 'LIST ALL DEVICES' under options.

Then, select 'Bulk-In, (Interface 0) as shown in the screen captures below.

Rich

Attachments

• Zadig_Driver_Setup.gif
    Zadig_Driver_Setup.gif
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,287
  • Zadig_Driver_Win7.gif
    Zadig_Driver_Win7.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 3,369

SquierStrat

Thank you Rich, i received your email. Using what you sent me, Im following the Zadig instructions to a T and am still getting a message that says "the driver installation failed". Then at the bottom it says "unable to run process with required administrative privileges" I have tried renaming the device something simple, and made sure to run it as an administrator

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I gave up on Zadig. Not only did not complete without errors on my machine without a lot of magic, but when it did it did not install a recent enough version of libusb. I don't know if it installs a recent version now or not. It wasn't installing a recent enough version to work on my computer six months ago when I tried it.

I would do this:

1. Go here: libusbx - Browse /releases/1.0.17/binaries at SourceForge.net
2. Download the Win version (not the WinCE version)
3. Unarchive it to some temp directory
4. Navigate to the M32/dll directory
5. Copy the .dll and .lib file to the root folder of your SDR# install
6. Make sure you have the RTL-SDR / USB line uncommented -- the line should look like this:

<add key="RTL-SDR / USB" value="SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR" />

7. Plug your dongle in
8. Fire up SDR#
9. Click on the pull-down menu between the Start / Config buttons
- choose RTL-SDR / USB
10. Set your output audio device to your speakers or something as a test
11. Cick Start and see if it works

If this doesn't work, you'll know it as soon as you select RTL-SDR / USB from the pull-down menu

Mike

rbm

Thank you Rich, i received your email. Using what you sent me, Im following the Zadig instructions to a T and am still getting a message that says "the driver installation failed". Then at the bottom it says "unable to run process with required administrative privileges" I have tried renaming the device something simple, and made sure to run it as an administrator

A few things and a few questions:

If you are using a USB cable to your dongle, remove it and plug the dongle in directly.
Does Windows make a sound to let you know it found the new device?

The USB port must be USB 2.0 (or 3.0)
It must be 'powered' port. Not all ports on some hubs are powered.

In the zadig 'USB ID' field are the first four characters '0BDA'
The dropdown box shows 'Bulk-In, (Interface 0)'
And the Driver shows 'WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)'

I think you're saying that you ran zadig by RIGHT clicking on the file AND selected RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
If so, that's the correct way to do it on Win7

Rich

Edit: You can also go here and read from step #6 down. Also, check out the comments.
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.