• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Rubbish dump found floating in Pacific Ocean is twice the size of America

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepdx

Rubbish dump found floating in Pacific Ocean is twice the size of America

A rubbish dump twice the size of the United States has been discovered floating in the Pacific Ocean.

The vast expanse of debris, made up of plastic junk including footballs, kayaks, Lego blocks and carrier bags, is kept together by swirling underwater currents.

It stretches from 500 nautical miles off the Californian coast, across the northern Pacific, past Hawaii and almost as far as Japan.

story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=512424&in_page_id=1811

RESCUE4NFD

Maybe,but I've checked AP News Services,CNN,BBC and the only sites saying anything about the Monster floating trash dump and there is suppose to be 2 of these the size of the U.S. are off the wall web sites.I would think that with all the satellites,military ships,cruise ships,airplanes flying over the oceans that they would have seen spotted before now...Just my 2 cents...

SLWilson

Saw "something"

I saw something on TV about all the plastic and trash and how it coagulated together out in the ocean.

There was a story on one of the tree hugger shows. They showed film of it....Gave some wild reason that it all "stuck together" and was floating around. Something about being caught in the "Transatlantic flow" or some such nonsense....

I say, since it's out in the middle of nowhere, AND most of it won't sink or "degrade" because it is plastic, I'd day fly over it with a little napalm and IGNITE it. That should take care of most of it !!!!

But, who am I and what do I know ????

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

Last edited:

BryanTheRed

Rotor Guy
RESCUE4NFD said:
Maybe,but I've checked AP News Services,CNN,BBC and the only sites saying anything about the Monster floating trash dump and there is suppose to be 2 of these the size of the U.S. are off the wall web sites.I would think that with all the satellites,military ships,cruise ships,airplanes flying over the oceans that they would have seen spotted before now...Just my 2 cents...
Yeah I agree, I thin kthat artice is "rubbish."

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
I've heard about this before. It's not so dramatic looking as a giant piece of sludge. It's just an area with a higher-than-average density of garbage. The maps make it look much different than it actually looks.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
RESCUE4NFD said:
Maybe,but I've checked AP News Services,CNN,BBC and the only sites saying anything about the Monster floating trash dump and there is suppose to be 2 of these the size of the U.S.
They've been reported by non-junk scientists for a while... It's not a continuous layer of junk, but it's there and there is a lot.

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
Could some of this be the result from all the hurricanes in recent years?
I doubt it. It's more the result of ocean currents than anything (well, except for the placing of the material there).

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
ibagli said:
I doubt it. It's more the result of ocean currents than anything (well, except for the placing of the material there).
I know it's the ocean currents that are causing it to gather in those locations, but I was thinking a lot of the debris was dumped into the ocean from hurricanes, Tsunamis, etc. Hopefully not just from people's negligence.

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I know it's the ocean currents that are causing it to gather in those locations, but I was thinking a lot of the debris was dumped into the ocean from hurricanes, Tsunamis, etc. Hopefully not just from people's negligence.
I doubt it, still. There's a lot of negligence in the world.

RC54730

GreatLakes said:
Well... I don't know about today, but at least ten years ago all Navy ships just dumped their trash overboard at a certain distance out to sea. Obviously they poke holes in the bags so that most of them sink, but you have to imagine that sooner or later the plastic bags come apart from critters walking around or burrowing into them, etc. An aircraft carrier produces as much garbage as a small town does (3-4K people), so it's got to go somewhere.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
RC54730 said:
Well... I don't know about today, but at least ten years ago all Navy ships just dumped their trash overboard at a certain distance out to sea. Obviously they poke holes in the bags so that most of them sink, but you have to imagine that sooner or later the plastic bags come apart from critters walking around or burrowing into them, etc. An aircraft carrier produces as much garbage as a small town does (3-4K people), so it's got to go somewhere.

carriers "carry" their garbage these days on the hanger deck. Unrep has become janitor duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.