• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Run two Base Stations on single base antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post and hopefully it is posted correctly. I am disabled and have a base station in my radio room, but due to the times that I am on bedrest, would like to have another in the bedroom. My question is whether I can use a splitter, and run it to the bedroom for the second radio? Am currently using an A99.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, not easily or cheaply. A simple "T" splitter would allow the transmitted RF energy from one radio to get into the receiver of the other radio, likely destroying that receiver.

Duplexers wouldn't work unless you restricted one radio to the high end of the CB band, and the other to the low end of the CB band. Even then, getting a duplexer that that would do that with any sort of efficiency would be expensive.

For Marine VHF radios there used to be an automatic antenna switch that would automatically switch one antenna to one of two radios when it sensed one of them keyed up. Not sure if it would work on the CB bands.

Cheapest way to do it would be to install an antenna switch. The trouble with that would be that you'd have to remember to switch it to the correct radio. If you experience mobility limitations, this could become an annoyance.

A simple 2 port antenna switch can be purchased from just about any amateur radio dealer for $30-$40 bucks. They can be had with UHF connectors on them, so it would just require connecting your A99 feed line to one side and the radios to the other two ports.

N1JGE

Premium Subscriber
My first question would of been are they transmitters or receivers? If both are receivers I see no reason why you can't just use a T, but not if one or both are a transmitter.

Thank You both for quick responses. N1JGE... both radio's would be used to recieve and transmit. Only one radio would be in use at a time. mmckenna..I had looked and looked but never saw the RF controlled swiltch. Most likely will be my best bet. Again thanks... Burninglightf10

rcwallen

How exactly would you join the coax leads from the 2 base station ports and the port from the antenna to the MFJ switch? The sensing port is the "input" and the two remaining ports are the outputs. Would seem like you want the reverse (2 in, one out) but that wouldn't allow both receivers to "see" the single antenna at the same time which I would think would be desireable. Guess you could run a hardwire to the switch to control it's status but that's approaching a non-sensing coax switch.

TEEs aren't too cool even for receive, 2 way rf splitter like CATV people use would be preferred. But then if you transmit into the splitter it will blow. If you use a TEE, one rig will damage the other rig and vice versa.

Always apply the KISS principle.

Simple need, not sure there's a simple solution other than a manual 2-way coax switch that you have to remember to change when gpoing to the other rig.

JayMojave

Hello MM: Good find that might work out just fine. My only concern would be that the CB radio had enough output power to switch it over to the proper side. I didn't see any spec's on the MFJ web site. Maybe a call to MFJ would be a good call.

Jay in the Mojave

I stand corrected!

Here is an automatic antenna switch that works off RF sensed switching:
MFJ Enterprises Inc.

prcguy

I have two 1KW amateur stations connected to the same antenna but through a remote Dow Key coax relay with 12v coil. The 12v power supply for the radio at location 1 also powers the remote coax relay and routes the antenna to location 1 when powered on. When I go to location 2, I make sure location 1 is powered down which then routes the antenna to location 2. Very simple and cheap.
prcguy

Thank You both for quick responses. N1JGE... both radio's would be used to recieve and transmit. Only one radio would be in use at a time. mmckenna..I had looked and looked but never saw the RF controlled swiltch. Most likely will be my best bet. Again thanks... Burninglightf10

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
you can use a Shakespeare AS2 automatic antenna/ radio switch, I have one on my second radio that is also ran to my sons radio in his room, so far it is working very good,, when there is no power to it the antenna is default to radio #2,, then if you have the 12v power on at the switch it will auto switch to whatever radio keys up, and stay on that radio till the other radio keys up. I picked one up on ebay for $40 new

don't worry that it says vhf on the face,, the spec is Frequency: Up to 600 MHz , and mine works just fine on 11 meters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shakespeare...658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cc2dd9ea

Last edited:

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
I am partially handicap and use my ham radio in my bedroom & another room on the other side of the house. I have a 2 position coax switch which costs about $40. The important part is to remember to throw the switch before keying up the radio. This is easily accomplished if you listen in for a couple minutes before transmitting. If you dont have the switch in the right position, you wont hear anyone to talk to.... :)

There are many of these types of switches to choose from. I use a Diawa switch which is decent quality. Daiwa CS-201 coax switch Product Reviews

Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help out with anything else.

Vince

prcguy

I just picked up one of the Shakespeare AS2 auto switches today on Ebay for $21.50 but I had been watching it before this thread came up.
prcguy

you can use a Shakespeare AS2 automatic antenna/ radio switch, I have one on my second radio that is also ran to my sons radio in his room, so far it is working very good,, when there is no power to it the antenna is default to radio #2,, then if you have the 12v power on at the switch it will auto switch to whatever radio keys up, and stay on that radio till the other radio keys up. I picked one up on ebay for $40 new

don't worry that it says vhf on the face,, the spec is Frequency: Up to 600 MHz , and mine works just fine on 11 meters

Shakespeare as 2 Automatic Coaxial Switch 1 Ant 2 Radios as 2 | eBay

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up one of the Shakespeare AS2 auto switches today on Ebay for $21.50 but I had been watching it before this thread came up.
prcguy

nice price,, so far mine has been working just fine, I have 2 radio's here that I use, a main and a secondary, both with there own antenna's. and my sons radio in his room, the secondary radio and antenna are hooked to the as2 and to my sons radio in his room. when im not using my radios and the power supply is turned off the switch defaults to radio 2(my sons) when I turn on my power supply and I want to use the secondary radio in my area I just touch the mic ptt and the switch automatically switches the antenna to my radio.. or my sons if he is on and keys up

some of them say radio1 , radio2. and some of them say vhf1, vhf2 on the switch but the specs are the same on both, 30 watts and up to 600mhz, one must be an older model?

Last edited:
I am placing an order for the shakespear AS2 and will give it a try. However I was given another A99 taken down from a local business, I may just have it installed. It would be approx 60 ft away from the existing antenna. Would this cause problems that I am not aware of? I run my radio's barefoot....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
60 feet, 4 watts (probably much less by the time it reaches the antenna), very unlikely you'd have an issue. That really isn't any different than passing someone on the highway who has a CB and is transmitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.