• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Running RSS from a CDROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otis413

Ok here's what I'm trying to figure out how to do; Can I save my codeplug to my hard disk when using the RSS from a bootable DOS CDROM?

Here's what I have so far;
two HT1000 UHF radios
A bootable DOS CDROM with the proper RSS software for the radio (Boots fine, software seems to run fine)
An IBM X41 laptop with docking station, CD drive, serial port, 20gb HDD, but no floppy drive and no OS.

I have ordered a new HT1000 battery and a programing cable, should be here in a week or so.

I'v been playing around with DOS today, but it's been a long tome sense I had to use it for anything.

Can I make this work?? If not, in storage I have an old Win 95 (upgraded to win 98se) computer with 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives, CD drive and (if I rem right) an 8 gb HDD. I'd really rather use the laptop because I really don't have anyplace to set up the desktop PC and I hate floppys...

If I can get the hang of programing these radios, I have my eye on a couple of VHF HT1000s on eBay (we really don't use UHF around here much.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
KD8VBV

kayfox

The X41 is probably too fast for the RSS and may brick your radio. DOS will also likely not like the 20gb hard drive (except maybe freedos and its ntfs driver), as well as other issues.

Try to get a 486 with:
75MHz or less processor, 33MHz is common and good.
More than 4MB of ram.
Less than 800MB hard disk.
DOS 6.22

That should be good and proper for the DOS based RSS.

I use:
Toshiba Satellite T2105CS
4MB Ram.
486DX2-50
32MB Sandisk SSD

It has a floppy drive, I still keep loads of floppies around and have a half dozen USB floppy drives (the Teac ones).

Otis413

Thanks for the input!

The HDD on the laptop failed lastnight while I was formating... go figure..

Does the same requirements (<100mhz) apply to the MaxTrac software? I have a programing cable ordered for those too.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS M2000s, 200MHZ Pentium MMX, 64 mb Ram in storage, also a Packard Bell Legend 406CD 75mhz, out in the barn, I'm not sure if either of them still work... I'll try the PB first, like I said, the problem is where to put the old dino..

Thanks again!
KD8VBV

cabletech

otis So if I understand the question correctly, you wish to have the radio program on a disc but save the radio data on the computer hard drive?

Yes, you can save the data to any location that you wish as long as you set the archive information correctly.

On the computer build a file for the information. IE open windows explore and click on my computer, then highlite the c: and on the right side do a right click then new>folder, enter, then name it radio infor. then in the folder put another folder called ht1000 (or what ever radio).

This builds a location for the archive. This file needs to be in the C:\ so that Dos can find it if you are using a DOS floppy.

Now open the software, then do f9 for computer setups, then do a f3, in the archive path type c:\radio infor\ht1000 then do f8 to save the information.

As for the computer, does not matter, I am currently using three differant computers depending on where I am for doing programing.

Computer one is a Pent 1 1g 1g ram 200ghd WinXP/3 using DOSBOX for all dos programs form Icom, Kenwood, Motorola, vertex.

Running for 9 years no problem.

Computer two is a Pent 3 800 2g ram 160ghd WinXP/3 and I use either DOSBOX or a DOS external HD (100g) again no problems.

Computer three is a Pent 1 300 1g ram 500mghd Win98 with no problems for over 15 yrs.

Hope this helps

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It will only work if your DOS boot disk has the necessary hard drive support.

Otis413

Thanks for the info!
Hopefully this will be my last post that will be delayed for moderation, 'cause I have more questions.

So far:
I got my MaxTrac programing cable in the mail yesterday, I had bought a UHF maxtrac a while back (cheap, it turned out to be a 449-470 cut) so I figured that I'd use it to experiment with before spending anymore money for a VHF model.
My setup seemed to work purdy good, I programed the maxtrac to the GMRS channels and hooked it up set to scan. I can hear a bunch of hunters talking but nobody actually using the band as GMRS..
So now I feel safe bidding on some maxtrac and gm300 radios on eBay.
I'll save my questions for another thread and after my posts are no longer delayed for moderation.
Thanks
KD8VBV

Otis413

And PS: Because my HDD failed while formating, I ended up using a bootable (DOS) thumbdrive, it worked purdy good, allowed me to save my codeplug with no trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.