Running Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb872033

Just got an Astro 99 antenna for my lowband monitoring and have a hustler DCL...i want to get them up in the air and have a mast that i could use in my yard...my question... Should i run the wire over head or under ground?...it wouldnt be that difficult for the me to run PVC under ground, CBYD says im clear to dig, but i dont know...recivers are on the 2nd floor so it would be more direct to run it over head, im in CT...dont know for sure any legalities that are surrounding it or anything...is there any difference in signal loss or anything? thanks for the input...

JB

btritch

Just Slightly..

There's not really a difference in loss etc. by running under ground or above ground. However, The difference in running in PVC under ground is that it's safe from lightning, Wind, Water, Etc., By running above ground you have to take a chance on water getting into the line and also after being in the weather so long the outter wire cracking and water seeping in, etc...I've always found it running underground the best, However, It's really just however you want to do it...Under ground is probably the best bet but above ground will get you a couple of good years probably anyway...

k8mcn

btritch said:
There's not really a difference in loss etc. by running under ground or above ground. However, The difference in running in PVC under ground is that it's safe from lightning, Wind, Water, Etc., By running above ground you have to take a chance on water getting into the line and also after being in the weather so long the outter wire cracking and water seeping in, etc...I've always found it running underground the best, However, It's really just however you want to do it...Under ground is probably the best bet but above ground will get you a couple of good years probably anyway...

Actually if your antenna or mast takes a lightening hit even if the coax is buried it could still run the charge directly into your shack-remember, the charge will be running down the shield, the conductor, or both, and all of those are still insulated from ground because of the coax jacket, buried or not.-best bet is to make sure your mast is grounded, the the coax shield is grounded again before coming into the house, and a good lightening protector is in line..but always unscrew you antennas from your rigs when not in use.............

jb872033

ok..thanks for the input...i have then set up in the yard on the ground at the moment...waiting till it warms up to do mast work...thanks for the input...i always disconnect my ants. when not using them...ill prolly do them under ground then...thanks all

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.