Russian Meteor M-2 Weather Satellite Frequency(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
When I read Technical details for satellite METEOR M2 I see TWO downlink frequencies: "Downlink (MHz): 137.100/137.900 "
I want to decode images using SDR#, Orbitron, M2_LRPT_Decoder, etc. Which frequency should I use? I reside in the US if that makes a difference.
I have tried 137.900 and got a short last section of a transmission but it would not save to a J-PEG, or I could not find where it save to,
when I used M2_LRPT_Decoder. I did get three strips of what looked to be good audio recording and did get what looked to be a good image,
It just would not save to a J-PEG.

ab5r

You might check farther on the Russian WX Sats. I am not positive (1) they are operational over the US and (2) that they use APT as do the US birds. I have a WeSaCom APT-06 dedicate receiver for the US birds, but haven't tried any others. What software are you using to decode?

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
You might check farther on the Russian WX Sats. I am not positive (1) they are operational over the US and (2) that they use APT as do the US birds. I have a WeSaCom APT-06 dedicate receiver for the US birds, but haven't tried any others. What software are you using to decode?

Seems to be quite popular - I am using my version of this:
Meteor-M2
AMIGOS

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
See my print-screen above... seems to be a signal and I seem to have gotten an image. Back to the original question. Not sure why two freq's are listed...

ab5r

I also believe that LRPT is DIGITAL too. Your software may decode! I have no idea why TWO frequencies? Look good.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
I also believe that LRPT is DIGITAL too. Your software may decode! I have no idea why TWO frequencies? Look good.

The transmission is digital. QPSK. Symbol rate = 72,000 from what I have read. The software I use does decode the digital signal into a file that is saved. The file, then, is analyzed and converted into a form that can be saved as an image J-Peg or Bmp as I vaguely understand it. I have seen in another article images of US weather via Russian weather satellites. I find it hard to believe that they would NOT want to keep an eye on our weather as we would theirs. Unless there is some space treaty but I am very sure we each have spy satellites so I would think anything that has potentially more positive spin to it would be acceptable to any space agreements. But I'm not sure...

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Id like to find out meteor is active having recently decoded a few noaa image's. I'll be watching.

Get Orbitron (free) and select Meteor M-2 satellite. Update Keplarian elements. Free. Then watch as it passes and monitor your waterfall at 137.900 and you will see what I am seeing.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Id like to find out meteor is active having recently decoded a few noaa image's. I'll be watching.

Haha haha.... so here is an image that I was able to decode yesterday. I think that is the Pacific Ocean in the lower left corner. Without a match to a map it is hard to tell with the amount of clouds and such. It took me a few minutes to tell if the software was actually saving the image to a J-Peg or not. Turns out it did without saying anything and dropped it into the audio recordings file. Fine as long as I know where it is...

2019_04_02_LRPT_12-33-40.s-ch2-rectified.jpg

amp1776

I haven't been using pass prediction software. I just simply leave sdr# open at the end of the air voice band and watch. 137.9 is right in the range of the older noaa birds, so I will see it if it there eventually. The decoding is what will be new.

Great image. I had the impression meteor image's were glossy color prints however. Lol

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been using pass prediction software. I just simply leave sdr# open at the end of the air voice band and watch. 137.9 is right in the range of the older noaa birds, so I will see it if it there eventually. The decoding is what will be new.
Great image. I had the impression meteor image's were glossy color prints however. Lol

Thanks. First trial! I had seen stunningly sharp images from Europe and it got me thinking. Not sure what equipment, software, antennas, radios, etc they are using. Mine is ultra-low-end gear using what I've got out of curiosity. You can always track them here:
Technical details for satellite METEOR M2

I think there might be a notifications capability in there somewhere as well. Requires an Internet connection however. I use it to confirm the accuracy of other trackers. To find the link for other birds just do some search in Google or others like, "track NOAA-19" for NOAA-19 without the quotes.

amp1776

Im using an RTL_SDR--> 30' USB Cable --> 20' RG8x --> Discone with 11 meter element. Works for me.

Using WxtoImg I know there is an automatic feature for a given channel. Ive been using the manual button however.

This one is from yesterday;

.screenshot.17.jpg

Last edited:

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Im using an RTL_SDR--> 30' USB Cable --> 20' RG8x --> Discone with 11 meter element. Works for me.
Using WxtoImg I know there is an automatic feature for a given channel. Ive been using the manual button however.
This one is from yesterday.

Thanks. Nice capture! For the Satellite menu option on WxToImg what selection had you made?

Status
Not open for further replies.