• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Rutherford County

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I've noticed that my scanners, a RS PRO-2030 and RS PRO-82,(I've had both of them MANY years with no problems)…. have recently only been receiving the dispatch communication on the Sheriff's frequency, and not the car transmissions. At times I will receive both sides but they will tell dispatch to use viper. I have no problem with EMS or fire. Will someone please help out an old man on what I need to purchase. I mainly monitor Rutherford and Cleveland counties.

Thanks,

Gary

Hello all, I've noticed that my scanners, a RS PRO-2030 and RS PRO-82,(I've had both of them MANY years with no problems)…. have recently only been receiving the dispatch communication on the Sheriff's frequency, and not the car transmissions. At times I will receive both sides but they will tell dispatch to use viper. I have no problem with EMS or fire. Will someone please help out an old man on what I need to purchase. I mainly monitor Rutherford and Cleveland counties.

Thanks,

Gary
You will need a scanner that does P-25, Phase I. You do not need a scanner that does Phase II. Period. Whistler WS-1040 for a handheld. WS-1065 for a base/mobile.
Both will work on the analog/conventional frequencies for either county. Plus will work well on the statewide VIPER system and Cleveland county's P-25 system.
Just my suggestion to keep it inexpensive for you.

Larry

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I was up in Rutherford County back in March.

They were not on Viper at that time.

The only thing that I was able to receive across Viper was:

Naturally the Highway Patrol

I was catching Mitchell County on Fire and Sheriff.

I had Rutherford, McDowell, Mitchell and Avery Counties in my radio.

Like I said before all I caught was McDowell Law and Mitchell County.

David

OK at 2148 tonight the RC Sheriff Dispatcher on Freq 154.8450 replied to a caller that "they are all on viper"....
Can someone please tell me what I need to do to be able to monitor VIPER transmissions in Rutherford County NC??

I have just recently purchased a WS1040, and am in the 30 day trial period of Win500

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.