Rutherford PD testing new encrypted equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Rutherford PD is testing their new radio system today. I'm told they will be encrypted 24/7, I have heard the encryption transitions today along with their patrol and desk still in the clear on 453.82500 654 NAC . I'm told they have EJ Johnson equipment and Kenwood portable radios replacing a 10 year old Motorola UHF P-25 system.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
I think you mean EF Johnson, who is owned by Kenwood. Someone must have said something or leaked something they shouldn't have, or the salesman pitched it. Ridiculous for these towns to have to use encryption.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jvdet

Kenwood can do P25 & NxDEN just wondering if they dump Motorola (can do p25) maybe they are Nxden
why not use another form of modulation so the surrounding towns cant hear them or switch over to them or Rutherford to switch to them why not have any commonality ? seems no body wants to talk to each other

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Kenwood can do P25 & NxDEN just wondering if they dump Motorola (can do p25) maybe they are Nxden

why not use another form of modulation so the surrounding towns cant hear them or switch over to them or Rutherford to switch to them why not have any commonality ? seems no body wants to talk to each other

It is NXDN not Nxden.

Kenwood builds P25 radios, that are capable of both DES and AES encryption. Just because they bought Kenwood/EFJ radios does not automatically mean they are using NXDN.

radiomanNJ1

It is NXDN not Nxden.

Kenwood builds P25 radios, that are capable of both DES and AES encryption. Just because they bought Kenwood/EFJ radios does not automatically mean they are using NXDN.

Must be a teacher to jump in on a small spelling error.

However I don't think you know either if they are P25, NXDN or what ever flavor because here in
Bergen doesn't mean you will talk to your neighbors. My Kingdom is mine!

BTW Kenwood does not build radios with ADP that Motorola gives away!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Must be a teacher to jump in on a small spelling error.

Nah, could never put myself through what I put my teachers through.

BTW Kenwood does not build radios with ADP that Motorola gives away!

True enough. How ever two points. 1, anyone who takes voice security seriously does not use ADP, they use AES256. 2, both Tait and EFJ both make radios that have welfare encryption compatible with Motorola's ADP.

SCPD

QRT
interop

Yes, after 9-11 I thought all the cities wanted to be able to talk to each other,if one is P25 phase one,another phase two,another DMR,one NXDN,one is Opensky,how in the world would they be able to talk to one another aside from SPEN?Oh yeah and encryption makes it even easier to be able to talk to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.