• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Saber Newbie Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4CYM

Feed Provider
Greetings!
I was offered a free Motorola Saber preprogrammed to the Ham frequencies that I currently use. Naturally, I accepted. While I've waited for it to show up, I bought a charger, and at the top of my purchasing list are some new batteries, a legal version of RSS and programming accessories, and some more radios to add to the collection. (At over $100/hr at one local store for programming, I might as well just buy RSS myself!!!)

Being relatively new to Motorola radios, (I really liked using HT1000s in CAP before they switched to the EFJs,) can y'all give some tips and pointers as I start out in this new hobby?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
1) Just be sure to use a slow (386/486) computer. Sabers are pretty old and need an old computer.

2) Read the radio several times to make sure that your programming platform is good to go.

3) SAVE SAVE SAVE your ORIGINAL codeplugs incase something goes wrong.

4) Program away.

Sabers have a very basic software package. On the other hand, Systems Sabers have a fairly complex RSS with a ton of options. You have to make sure which kind of Saber you have. Basically, if the top channel knob stops at 12, you have regular Sabers. If it has 16 positions, they are Systems Sabers.

firetaz834

and finding the old computer will be the trick. No too many are out there. I'm just glad I kept some from a while back. Know they come in handy for something and all my friends thought I was insane for keeping some around.

KJ4CYM

Feed Provider
I have a 486/25 Compaq laptop that I can get to boot with a floppy. I also have an extremely old 286 "laptop" portable that I might be able to get working, if I can find and replace the CMOS battery. I knew I should have kept that nice 386 I used to have...

EngineerZ

Straussberg said:
I have a 486/25 Compaq laptop that I can get to boot with a floppy. I also have an extremely old 286 "laptop" portable that I might be able to get working, if I can find and replace the CMOS battery. I knew I should have kept that nice 386 I used to have...
The Compaq Contura Aero 4/25 laptops work well and tend to show up on eBay quite a bit. You'll need to get the external floppy for it though; Try to make sure it comes with the laptop.

Another unit that has worked really well for me is the HP 200lx palmtop. If you don't mind the small screen, it is an extremely portable and reliable solution. DOS is contained in ROM and you can use compact flash cards with a PCMCIA adaptor for RSS. I find the compact flash a little easier to transfer files back and forth with a modern PC than using a floppy. There's a special serial cable, but you can build one yourself with a dual row .1" header connector if you're handy with electronics... (Stay away from the HP 95lx; it doesn't have a full-fledged serial port and is only compatible with Type 1 (SRAM) memory cards, not flash.)

--z

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
kb9sxk said:
you can not buy new saber rss.

I was told by Motorola that it is still available. The rep told me that it was removed from MOL due to a Y2K issue...lol Anyway, she said that I could still order it, but I had to sign a release stating that I knew there may be Y2K related problems. I just let her ramble on for a minute or two and then passed on purchasing it.

KJ4CYM

Feed Provider
I just called today, and she said that it's been discontinued. She did mention that the Systems Saber RSS was available.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Straussberg said:
I just called today, and she said that it's been discontinued. She did mention that the Systems Saber RSS was available.

I wish they'd get there act together at MOL...lol

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
rescue161 said:
I was told by Motorola that it is still available. The rep told me that it was removed from MOL due to a Y2K issue...lol Anyway, she said that I could still order it, but I had to sign a release stating that I knew there may be Y2K related problems. I just let her ramble on for a minute or two and then passed on purchasing it.

When you consider that the computers that will be running it will be older than dirt, I'd say old RSS with an old computer are a match for an old radio :D

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The Sabers are still one of the most durable and easiest radios to work on that M ever produced. I still own about 6 of all shapes and bands. I have 2 Systems that I use daily as my Monitoring radios. I just started using an XTS for my every day radio.

KJ4CYM

Feed Provider
I guess if you're persistent enough, get the right person to answer the phone, and wave a little money around, you just might be able to buy a licensed copy. I'm hoping for it anyway. I'll try again when I have the money ready to spend, hopefully sometime in the next couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.