Sacramento P25 system

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
The only full-time subscribers on the system are the Sacramento County Local Government users (Probation, Rangers, Public Works, etc.). Everyone else including all municipal law enforcement and fire agencies are still on the analog system. From what I've heard, the switch isn't supposed to happen until 2019.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Looks like SRRCS is building out two towers in Davis to support UC Davis and City of Davis Fire. According to Yolo911 minutes, UC Davis Fire has a contract state date of July 2018 with the anticipation that they will be on the new P25 system.

Yolo911 agreement with UC Davis: http://yeca911.org/JPA_Board_Agendas/JPA_2018/Feb 2018 Board Packet.pdf

SRRCS Davis build: SIRE Public Access

City of Davis radio replacement: http://documents.cityofdavis.org/Me...as/20170523/03A-Radio-Replacement-Project.pdf

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Just a note for everyone, for the past year, Unitrunker only shows Site 12 and Site 13 on the system, no more Site 11. I heard they combined the "city" and "countywide" system into one for the new system, so the Site 11 was no longer needed.

officer_415

Database Admin
Just a note for everyone, for the past year, Unitrunker only shows Site 12 and Site 13 on the system, no more Site 11. I heard they combined the "city" and "countywide" system into one for the new system, so the Site 11 was no longer needed.

Did they move the Site 11 frequencies over to Site 12, or is it still just 6 frequencies?

dirtrat

Site 11 was a City Site on P25. On the P25 system, SRRCS decided to do a single site system (Site 12). This will end up being 30 channels when finished. Frequencies from the 4.1 analog system were taken from Site 1 and Site 2 and relicensed for P25. As more channels are enabled on P25, channels on the analog system will be disabled during the migration.

eccradiotec

What's up in Sacramento my scanner is dead on Fire tg's? Did they switch to the P-25 system full time

dirtrat

Public safety isn't on the P25 yet. Someone on P25 is either monitoring or scanning a Public Safety talkgroup and pulling the audio across the SmartX.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento Fire

What's up in Sacramento my scanner is dead on Fire tg's? Did they switch to the P-25 system full time
I hear fire TGs just fine from both the city and county analog systems. While the dispatch (and usually command) channels (A1 & B1) are broadcast on both systems, keep in mind that the TAC channels are typically only on one system. A6 on the county, B6 on the city; for example.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
In the August 2018 agenda packet for the Board of Directors meeting for the Sacramento Regional Fire/EMS Communications Center, it suggests the P25 switchover for the various fire agencies will be completed in November 2018.

However, in an April 2018 Board of Supervisors meeting for Sacramento County, the radio techs talked about upgrading the core and suggested it would be upgraded between June 2018 and June 2020. I'm not too educated on the backend P25 stuff, so I'm not sure if the core upgrades have anything to do with users switching over and using the system.

Attachments

• SRFECCP25Nov.PNG
    SRFECCP25Nov.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 376
  • DTechSRRCSApr2018.PNG
    DTechSRRCSApr2018.PNG
    62.9 KB · Views: 375

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
As of late October 2018, these agencies seem to have made the transition over to P25 either full-time or part-time:

Fulton-El Camino Park Police (using both P25 Fulton-El Camino and P25 Sheriff channels mostly full-time, a few radios still on SmartZone)

Sacramento County Airport System (including Fire Department, Operations; not including Sheriff Contract)

Sacramento (City) Local Government (mixed-use, some on the SmartZone system, some on the P25 system)

Sacramento County Park Rangers (already on P25 for their own channels, but now also using the P25 Sheriff channels almost full-time)

Sacramento County Probation (same as the Rangers, had their own channels already on P25, now using the P25 Sheriff and P25 Sac PD channels almost full-time)

Because of this, SSD 1-4, 6; SPD 1, 3, 4, 6 seem to be simulcasted full-time on P25. Other law enforcement channels and fire channels are simulcasted as P25 radios affiliate with them.

They've added some additional channel capacity to the P25 system, Site 12. Unitrunker shows:

852.3500 (alternate cc)
853.1875 (alternate cc)
853.4500 (alternate cc)
853.8750 (primary cc)

Additionally, both the Davis TRS and UC Davis TRS are still active, however Sacramento County has taken over as point-of-contact on their FCC licenses since they will be coming over to the system eventually.

crucialcolin

Doh hate it when that happens :D

Out of curiosity is the P25 system simulcast? I can't lock onto the control channel much like Placer's West Zone/Centeral Zones.

mcjones2013

Premium Subscriber
Doh hate it when that happens :D

Out of curiosity is the P25 system simulcast? I can't lock onto the control channel much like Placer's West Zone/Centeral Zones.

Yes. Site 12 is simulcasted for the entire county. Closet tower to Placer County would likely be Gibson Ranch (near the Sac/Placer county line) or Citrus Heights (behind Fire Station 21).

Being simulcast, some scanners may have difficulty picking up the simulcast. Unitrunker shows CQPSK for modulation. My SDS100 picks it up perfectly. My BCD436HP picks it up marginally. Both use the RS800 antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crucialcolin

Yes. Site 12 is simulcasted for the entire county. Closet tower to Placer County would likely be Gibson Ranch (near the Sac/Placer county line) or Citrus Heights (behind Fire Station 21).

Being simulcast, some scanners may have difficulty picking up the simulcast. Unitrunker shows CQPSK for modulation. My SDS100 picks it up perfectly. My BCD436HP picks it up marginally. Both use the RS800 antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah traditional scanners have difficulty with simulcast. I have a bcd325p2 which is similar to the 436HP minus home patrol. I only have 1 SDR stick atm so i couldn't check for sure if it was simulcast(my understanding Sacramento requires two due to having a frequency range larger then 2.4 MHZ)

I'm actually trying to figure out why I struggle with Sacramento County reception at my location not far from Roseville PD in Central Roseville. I pick up a lot of scratchy static in transmissions with wild signal fluctuations, pretty much anything from 1-5 bars on my regular scanner with only that first bar staying stable.