Salt Lake County UCAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I did a minor reorganization of the Salt Lake County UCAN groups. I think it's good to split off the cities that have their own police/fire/etc. as well as the entities that have broader county coverage. But I'm not familiar enough with UPD/UFA/VECC/etc. to know what areas they cover and what other TGs can be assigned to them. I am open to suggestions for improving the organization. I suggest we discuss proposals here to find a consensus.

-Tim

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
ucan

i am pretty good at that and know which is which however i will be gon untill saterday
night but i due know that UPD is by it self and midvale is now UPD and has all of the conty
UPD chanels for them to use Westvalley dose it own and sandy its own Draper, so jordan
west jordan all have their own dispatching with fire as unified Fire Dept for the hole valley
even murray.
UPD dose
Wasatch East
Oquirrh west
Speical ops south
UPD Midvale ,Holiday, Magna, Riverton,white city
cottonwood has it own pd but fire is with unified FD
murray is not own UCAN but has it own 800 repeaters
salt lake city its own system own dispatcher and own fire
i am sorry if i mis spelled some name that looks pretty good
and will help those with scanners that use the radio referance data base

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
ucan

I am think that there should be further grouping of the Unified Fire as well since they have
there own channel and dispatch right now it is group in with a lot of none fire channels
that get mixed in when u have the new scanners uploaded from the data base
things like the Ops chanel and other none fire chanels. I think we should Have
the Unified Fire with it is own section as well if there is room to due that

kf7yn

To avoid confusion, I organize my Trunker TGs and individual radio IDs according to the communities they serve.

For example: UPD dispatches for Taylorsville and Midvale PD, I show the radio IDs as Tayl PD and Midvale PD respectively even though they are technically UPD Special Services and UPD Midvalley.

For the sake of monitoring, I really don't care which Fire Depts are Unified or not, so I do the same with the individual Fire IDs, Midvale Fire, West Jordan Fire, etc. It can be even more confusing that they are dispatched by VECC so I simply name my VECC Fire TGs as "VECC Fire 1", VECC Fire 2, VECC Fire Tac 7, VECC Fire Tac 8, etc. even though that isn't technically correct it does avoid confusion for me.

So to address the question by Theaton, I propose we call the main Fire TGs "VECC" even though cities and entities may or may not belong to UFA. By looking at the UFA map UFA Service Area we can see who is and who is not part of UFA. Midvale is but West Jordan is not, for example, yet they are all dispatched by VECC.

As for UPD PD TGs- perhaps we should note the main user like these examples:
Midvalley = Midvale
Special Services = Taylorsville PD
Wasatch = Millcreek, Holladay, canyon units, etc.

That's my 23.5¢ worth.

bcoray

Ufa

During normal operations the different agencies are assigned regular VEEC Fire Response Channels/TG's:

CH 2: UFA units including the newly joined Midvale FD
CH 3: Sandy, West Jordan, South Jordan, Murray
CH 4: West Valley, South Salt Lake (I think??)

Of course, this all goes out the window when a channel is restricted due to an incident.

N7YUO

I agree with kf7yn about the fire dispatches. All fire dispatching in SL County is done by VECC, except for Salt Lake City which does their own. Anytime a fire gets too big or too threatening, any fire dept can be called up, so for us listeners, it seems like one big fire dept.

The city of Murray, always one to be independent, chose not to join UCAN. The state gave them 5 freqs from an 800 MHz trunked system whose users were migrated to UCAN.
Murray uses 800 MHz conventional freqs, but they can access common trunked channels like the Landing Zones and Regional.

The SLCO Sheriff created the Unified Police Department (UPD) to patrol the unicorporated county.
There are also incorporated cities already mentioned that are patrolled by or have joined UPD.

We could organize the cities / towns by geographical area:
South County: Draper, Sandy, Bluffdale, Riverton, S Jordan, Herriman.
Mid County: Midvale, Murray, West Jordan, Taylorsville, Cottonwood, Millcreek.
North County: U of U, South Salt Lake, West Valley, SLC UCAN talk groups.
I would list Salt Lake City by itself since they have their own trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.