San Antonio Encryption

JayJuarez2

Premium Subscriber
I'm "late" to this discussion, so sorry for replying 5 months later. I'm in San Antonio and our LE has gone fully encrypted Countywide. I just need to confirm that we will never be able to monitor them going forward? Not complaining, but need to decide if it's time to box up my scanner and move on. Thanks in advance.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just need to confirm that we will never be able to monitor them going forward?
There are no scanners (past, present, or future) that will monitor encrypted transmissions. There are no firmware updates, add-on hardware, or hacks that will enable monitoring encryption on any scanner.

JayJuarez2

Premium Subscriber
There are no scanners (past, present, or future) that will monitor encrypted transmissions. There are no firmware updates, add-on hardware, or hacks that will enable monitoring encryption on any scanner.
As I suspected, thanks for the confirmation.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Although SAPD and Bexar SO are heavily using encryption, some conversations slip through the cracks time to time. But you can still hear SA and Bexar Co Fire, DPS, and the NE SA cities near Randolph AFB aren’t using major encryption for their police.

N2ZQO

As I suspected, thanks for the confirmation.
Although SAPD and Bexar SO are heavily using encryption, some conversations slip through the cracks time to time. But you can still hear SA and Bexar Co Fire, DPS, and the NE SA cities near Randolph AFB aren’t using major encryption for their police.

Yes. It's been my experience (not in your area specifically but in general) that nothing is ever 100% (e.g., "all conversations have gone fully encrypted" etc.). Even today, half the fun is to flip the scanner on and see what you hear.

Are things getting "quieter" in that regard as time goes on? Sure. But (with the exception of hearing encrypted stuff, which we shouldn't want anyway), the radios are getting better.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Yes. It's been my experience (not in your area specifically but in general) that nothing is ever 100% (e.g., "all conversations have gone fully encrypted" etc.). Even today, half the fun is to flip the scanner on and see what you hear.

Are things getting "quieter" in that regard as time goes on? Sure. But (with the exception of hearing encrypted stuff, which we shouldn't want anyway), the radios are getting better.
We just have to remember that in large population areas, the elected officials, including sheriffs, have to be politicians. Opinions and policies can change over time. At some point a new Sheriff could come in and open Dispatch back up to the clear.

GeraldP

We just have to remember that in large population areas, the elected officials, including sheriffs, have to be politicians. Opinions and policies can change over time. At some point a new Sheriff could come in and open Dispatch back up to the clear.
I would suspect that would be "A Cold Day In San Antonio." Then days are far between!

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I would suspect that would be "A Cold Day In San Antonio." Then days are far between!
Not so sure about San Antonio ever opening back up. They had ProVoice and defacto encryption for all that time, very few users bothered to get the discriminator tap and software when the first solution came up, then as it became easier with SDRs and eventually the Uniden ProVoice upgrade, it was still a small market of people with the mobile ability to monitor the digital side of the EDACS system. They enjoyed that, and I think they were comfortable with it because I used to listen to undercover ops all the time on their Zone 2/3 talkgroups. Good entertainment and tense listening sometimes. With the cartel activity at a high, I am glad they are encrypted on everything else, but still would like to see them go back on dispatch for the sake of transparency, or at least provide a delayed feed through Broadcastify. If nothing else, put BOLOs and high priority emergency dispatches in the clear on a dedicated talkgroup so that citizens can be alert to the danger in real time.

Wish in one hand......

Ensnared

I am assuming that the RR page for AARRS is accurate. If so, Bexar County has clear channels, some good ones. There is also Bexar County Task Force which is Phase I. I am seeing what appear to be patrol channels for SA CID. When I visited, my SDS 100 was stomping. Reportedly, the federal channels are pretty active.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I am assuming that the RR page for AARRS is accurate. If so, Bexar County has clear channels, some good ones. There is also Bexar County Task Force which is Phase I. I am seeing what appear to be patrol channels for SA CID. When I visited, my SDS 100 was stomping. Reportedly, the federal channels are pretty active.
I went through today both ways, Bexar SO West had some radio traffic in the clear. Looking at the calls archives, it comes and goes. They will be clear for hours or even days and then silent again. On all talk groups too.