San Diego City 700MHz System

QDP2012

...While I tried to post this information in the Wiki for the 700 system, it did not show up as a table like I had hoped. ...

Table-format has been applied to the info you posted in the Wiki.

Thank you for your efforts and contribution!

Hope this helps,

(This is a 2nd attempt at making this post. My apologies if it shows up later as a duplicate; it is because the first post did not appear soon after posting. If the earlier post was removed by a Moderator, please excuse the re-post, and remove this too. Thanks.)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any new info on the City 700 system? I am finding that it seems to not have the range and power of the current 800 system, always displaying much lower RSSI values. On the 94 freeway between SD and Lemon Grove, the cell phone tower there knocks the 700MHz control channel off of the 996XT, while the 800 system keeps a flicker of full signal bars, although unable to really hear anything but static.

When was the 700MHz system built...I wonder if it will still be serviceable for a full transition of police and fire by the time they decide to do so. #EOL

Paul

f40ph

Feed Provider
Reduced RSSI

Sounds about right with lower signal strength. That's typical for P25 vs analog. That's why they usually add additional "cells" to a system in transition. See San Bernardino as an example of this.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Sounds about right with lower signal strength. That's typical for P25 vs analog. That's why they usually add additional "cells" to a system in transition. See San Bernardino as an example of this.

Yes you are exactly right. Less Power and more towers. In the past I was able to receive SBDCO System 8 Analog all the way into Palm Desert with no issues. Now I can't pickup anything on 700 mhz in the desert communities. Bummer

allend

Premium Subscriber
Why can't you hear the SBC site in Palm Desert?
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7016

The old Analog System 8 I still can pickup so far which has some analog fire talkgroups left. But when they retire that old system it will be gone in the desert. As to the new system and tower setups which now transmit lower power and probably not getting anymore of the footprint into the desert anymore. I have scanned 700 and 800 mhz for any of the new site towers and can't pickup anything. I am also using an outside roof mount discone antenna too. Its just the sign of the times. Just keeping loosing more and more as time goes by now. Use to be-able to pickup the old EDACS system for Riverside Co and now its gone for good to the new system too. Everything is DE on that system.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Yes you are exactly right. Less Power and more towers. In the past I was able to receive SBDCO System 8 Analog all the way into Palm Desert with no issues. Now I can't pickup anything on 700 mhz in the desert communities. Bummer

The difference between the City 800 MHz and City 700 MHz systems (and the San Bernardino County systems) has nothing to do with any perceived difference between analog & P25. Guess what? The 800 MHz systems are mixed mode, running both analog and P25!

The difference is the FCC rules and Regional Plan under which the systems were designed and operate. Both of the 800 MHz systems were constructed under rules where coverage was not restricted to the jurisdiction + a reasonable buffer. The NPSPAC segments of the 800 MHz band and the entire 700 MHz band have tighter coverage restrictions, so as to allow more systems into the band. Hence, Allend cannot hear the San Bernardino 700 MHz layer in Palm Desert, because the system is designed not to cover the Riverside County portions of the lower desert.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Don, does this mean an 800 only NextGen may still maintain a similar coverage footprint as the current RCS?

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Due to the pending loss of a key site in Carlsbad, the NextGen system will have 5 simulcast cells instead of 4 (the North will be split). At the same time, the vendor is adjusting the coverage from other sites. The contracted for coverage is 'equal to or better than' what we have now.

Don

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Did something change with the 700MHz system? My 996XT's are saying finding control channel when I go to my SD 700 bank. I never had issues with it before, and I have all the frequencies in the RRdb in the control channel list.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Listening on my BCD436HP, no problem.. Interesting though, PD Eastern D1 has been on this system all day.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I think my programming got messed up...when on the active CC, it sounds weird and doesn't display that it is on a CC...I can't seem to find a way to double check system type or bandplan through the menu, may have to read the scanner to figure this out. Thanks for letting me know its still working.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I often joke they should have their own talk show or pod cast...you'd be hard pressed to find people who can talk about such diverse topics for hours on end non stop.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
SDPD Central D1 has been active on the 700 system Simulcast to the 800 ever since I turned on the radio this morning.

Fluke or sign of things to come?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully as simple as copy and pasting our SD 800 talkgroups into our 700 system list...same talkgroup numbers it seems...so far? :)