San Diego City 800MHz Trunked System Rebanding Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
The wastewater plant system covers the wastewater plant. The plant is shadowed by terrain from the other sites.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
There's been some submissions to the 800 MHz system in response to this thread, so I thought I'd drop some historical perspective in here. The 800 MHz system city simulcast site is indeed site 002, and here's why:

The SD 700 MHz and 800 MHz systems are on the same Motorola ASTRO 25 Zone Controller. The city went through the motions and upgraded the zone controller a couple years ago (maybe more at this point?) and that's when the site change would have happened. This included upgrading all the dispatch consoles from Centracom Gold Elites to MCC 7500s, and all the dispatchers got slightly more digital sounding. This was due to parts availability and Motorola ceasing support for the older SmartZone zone controllers (I believe the RCS went through similar pains as I recall :) ).

The remaining analog Motorola Type II Smartzone 800 MHz sites are actually on the ASTRO 25 system, but they're being broadcast as Type II Smartzone sites for backwards compatibly purposes thanks to SmartX converter boxes at those sites.
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/c...les/r3-26-2006_smartx_siteconverter_final.pdf

This allowed San Diego to only have to pay for upgrading the P25 "core" prime site, without having to buy millions in new P25 radios all at once. 800 MHz rebanding was just another thing that happened during this time, and presumably the system user radios weren't caught up enough to also make the switch to P25 at the same time.

Here's a current snapshot of the two systems thanks to Unitrunker:

San Diego City 800 MHz System
Motorola Type II Smartzone
System ID: 2B2E, CT: 138.46

856.1875 control channel (LCN 207), Site 2 - Citywide Simulcast

Neighbors:
LCN 167 (855.1875 unverified), Site 3 - This shows up in the neighbor list for Site 2. I suspect it's the Point Loma wastewater intellirepeater, but it needs to be verified (along with the freq, which is based on assuming site 2's bandplan).

I suspect the San Pasqual (Valley) site was rolled into the Site 2 city simulcast system years ago, and nobody noticed. Still, I'd like confirmation if possible before we delete it for good.

Right now both Point Loma and San Pasqual (Valley) sites have been moved to site 003 until the bogus one can be deleted. If these duplicate sites break anyone's scanners let us know and we can make the appropriate changes.

San Diego City 700 MHz System
Motorola P25
System ID: 375, WACN: BEE00, NAC: 370

771.48125 control channel - Site 001-001 - Citywide Simulcast

Neighbors:
Site 001-004 - LCN 01-1480 (Freq 771.25625 MHz)
Site 001-005 - LCN 01-1480 (Freq 771.25625 MHz)

I find it peculiar that both neighbors are announcing the same control channel frequency, but they must be very small fill-in sites covering small enough areas that it allows them to re-use the freqs. I've heard that one of these sites may be at the SD Sheriff detention center complex in Otay Mesa (Bailey Detention Facility, Facility 8, East Mesa Re-Entry), but not sure about the other.

Combining the two systems above, here's what the ASTRO 25 zone controller sees:

Site 1 (001-001) - SD 700 MHz P25 System - City 700 MHz Simulcast Site
Site 2 - SD 800 MHz Smartzone System - City 800 MHz Simulcast Site
Site 3 - SD 800 MHz Smartzone System - Point Loma?
Site 4 (001-004) - SD 700 MHz P25 System - ?
Site 5 (001-005) - SD 700 MHz P25 System - ?

You can bet that the city has been gradually paying for P25 capable user radios. At some point in the not too distant future they'll be able to throw the proverbial switch, remove the SmartX converters from Sites 2 and 3 and convert the whole city to the 700 MHz system. Or perhaps they'll keep the rebanded 800 MHz frequencies on the P25 system? Time will tell I guess! As far as the central core zone controller is concerned, SD is already a P25 system.

Last edited:

scanfreak1

Where do you find the control channel on a BC 796D and a BCD 396
someone have a you tube instructions - need step by step instructions

lear1000

Is anyone able and willing to reprogram my Uniden 396 Trunktracker with the updated frequencies? I don’t have the software to do it. I’ll pay. I’m in Mission Valley.

COMM1975

I just rebanded a Radio Shack Pro-95 with Scanhack95 software. I simply programmed in the new frequencies and made sure the 800mz setting was set to "Normal" not "offset" and all is working.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
So I take it San Diego PD I know is now on the 700mgz system. and is P25 Astro?

They are in transition, and both systems are carrying the same audio - 800 in analog, 700 in P25.

Last I heard, the 800 side will go away later this summer.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
They are in transition, and both systems are carrying the same audio - 800 in analog, 700 in P25.

Last I heard, the 800 side will go away later this summer.
Don, when you say "going away" do you mean the FD/PD and the like will move to 700 and other city stuff like school buses will stay on the 800 or do you think they will be turning off the 800?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Don, when you say "going away" do you mean the FD/PD and the like will move to 700 and other city stuff like school buses will stay on the 800 or do you think they will be turning off the 800?

Yes, FD/PD are moving to 700. I don't know what the plans are for the remaining users.
The 800 MHz system is 'long in the tooth' (it is the same technology as the legacy RCS was).

Don

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin

SDUSD Police has already completely transitioned to the 700 MHz P25 system and I think I’ve seen some affiliations on the bus talkgroups on the new system as well. Also the very first users on the 700 MHz system were the garbage trucks so they don’t appear to be reserving the new system for public safety users only. Given that I think we will see all users transition over eventually and the 800 system will be retired.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The City Wireless Services Division has yet to move them off the 700 system.

I wonder where they will go...send them to Zello (hope they have a good data plan!)!

SDPD is almost completely cut over to the 700 system, I only hear a handful of radios overnight still transmitting in analog into the 800 system. Sounds like Lifeguards are also pretty much cut over to 700, and quite a few battalion chiefs are on 700 as well, causing a few talkgroups on SDFD to light up on major fire calls.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I wonder where they will go...send them to Zello (hope they have a good data plan!)!

SDPD is almost completely cut over to the 700 system, I only hear a handful of radios overnight still transmitting in analog into the 800 system. Sounds like Lifeguards are also pretty much cut over to 700, and quite a few battalion chiefs are on 700 as well, causing a few talkgroups on SDFD to light up on major fire calls.

Paul
Paul,

SDFD seems to be lagging in their switch over. The past few mornings I have noticed units on the 800 system working an incident that is not hitting on the 700 system. These were incidents without a BC involved.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I would recommend to continue scanning both systems. Even SDPD still has a fair bit of dispatch 2 traffic on the 800 system, meaning one of the two radios involved in the conversation was still on the 800 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.