San Diego Co/Imperial Co Regional Communications System (RCS) Question Thread

SCPD

QRT
I have 2 ?
1st one is should I program all 19 north site freq in or just the main control channel and the 3 alts

2nd one is what happens if they have a major failure in the RCS system do they go into fail safe non-trunking mode and where does the radio traffic go does rely on all 19 freq to work like the old days or does it transmit on a different set of freq

Thanks Folks For The Info

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
1. For normal scanning operation only the 4 control channels should be needed.

2. There are three failure modes.
a. Site Trunking - the cell operates normally, but is not connected to the core (and dispatch consoles).
b. Fail Soft - the 19 channels come up as conventional repeaters, with units assigned to a channel based
on the talkgroup they were using at the time of the failure.
c. Fallback - in the event of a total loss of a cell, units have preassigned conventional mutual aid frequencies
(ITacs, CLEMARS, SDMARS, etc.) to use.

mrg1std

Premium Subscriber
1st one is should I program all 19 north site freq in or just the main control channel and the 3 alts

I live in Oceanside and use the north site and I just program the CC. The radio scans a little faster.

kma371

QRT
Since there appears to be a number of questions about this system scattered about the San Diego forum, I think it's best to put all questions about it here in one thread.

Fire away.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It would be really nice to have the Failsoft talkgroup to conventional frequency conversion list for the RCS. My County programmed radios are devoid of Failsoft frequencies, but my old SD City radios have City Failsoft frequencies in them. I've got a separate bank for each system and site with just the conventional trunking frequency pool, but would nice to have talkgroup names to identify them more easily, or lock into something quickly when the "s*$#" hit the fan controller wise.

Paul

nhse

Premium Subscriber
RCS hex codes

Any idea when RR will update the RCS hex codes? My Motorola radio uses them vs. the trunk tracker. Or...does anyone have a list available? Are the numerical codes the same as the hex code if I can find a Match on the heartland group and will that translate over to the Northcomm codes?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
If you have a radio on the system, it should have been reprogrammed by now. Call the contact number on the radio and set up your reprogram.

desertscan

has RCS changed talkgroup IDs and areas

I'm in imperial county and for months have listened to FDs using talkgroups that are listed in Escondido and North county SD for tac and mutual aid. but for the last three days have been hearing local LE using Vista public works tacs 1,2,3 14416, 14480, 14448. local LE are using these as LE tac 1,2,3. I wont say what operations they are being used for but it is multiple agency's working together on these talkgroups. I'm sure you can figure it out. I'm just wondering if they use different talkgroups or if RCS has changed talkgroups for different areas.

there are also a few talkgroups that are not listed being used.

29344 is not listed but is Imperial county animal control.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
There have been a number of talkgroup changes implemented while the user radios have been retuned for Rebanding. The RR database is in the process of being updated.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Don, on Uniden XT scanners, ALL of the FD talkgroups that are new and or patched, are passing digital talkgroups, typically Harbor PD, Jail Transport/Admin, and this morning, 3A was locking in on 41 units, so I am assuming some sort of Poway/Rural patch.

Are those old talkgroup patches slated to be terminated once the rebanding switch is thrown? It is really quite intrusive to passive scanning when this happens, and setting status bit to on basically just locks out the talkgroups all together.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Don, on Uniden XT scanners, ALL of the FD talkgroups that are new and or patched, are passing digital talkgroups, typically Harbor PD, Jail Transport/Admin, and this morning, 3A was locking in on 41 units, so I am assuming some sort of Poway/Rural patch.

Are those old talkgroup patches slated to be terminated once the rebanding switch is thrown? It is really quite intrusive to passive scanning when this happens, and setting status bit to on basically just locks out the talkgroups all together.

Paul

We are terminating the patches as each agency that is patched completes their rebanding programming.

I can't address the digital issues in your first paragraph.

Don

JoeyC

I can't address the digital issues in your first paragraph.

Don

Same happened here. I was getting digital (SDSO talkgroups) along with the Northcomm dispatches on 4A (20720) and on another FIRE talkgroup (can't recall which now). I thought it was a fluke, but it lasted for an hour, even after restarting the scanner. I rewrote the programming, and it hasn't happened since, although there was no change made to the programming. Strange. :confused: This was on the 536HP.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The fleetmap changed, there is another thread specifically regarding this..........it says fire fleetmap.

Paul

mike619

This may sound off topic but is the only way to monitor a good way without the bugs is to go Whistler and ditch Uniden and use them for conventional stuff since Uniden seems like they won't do anything to fix it?

I do have to say I have been getting he bug issue as well on the FD talkgroups and I use an old PRO-96 and it seems to be working better and the P25 audio is way better too.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyC

This may sound off topic but is the only way to monitor a good way without the bugs is to go Whistler and ditch Uniden and use them for conventional stuff since Uniden seems like they won't do anything to fix it?

I do have to say I have been getting he bug issue as well on the FD talkgroups and I use an old PRO-96 and it seems to be working better and the P25 audio is way better too.

Right now I have too many scanners as it is (is that even possible? :twisted:) so there are no plans for me (yet) to experiment with any Whistler scanners. One day perhaps.

I believe you about the old PRO-96 though. I have an old BC785D and 796D and the digital audio coming out of these scanners blows the 996XT and 536HP out of the water for P25, at least when listening to the RCS!

donrob36

I have a question about what municipalities are on South Cell (programmed) and what groups are on North Cell (not programmed) I use Freescan to program my scanner and this would be helpful Im in Lakeside so the 52 is the border for me

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
SOUTH

CHP El Cajon
Chula Vista
Coronado
El Cajon
Harbor PD
Imperial Beach Sheriff (Spring Valley/Bonita)
La Mesa
Lemon Grove Sheriff
National City
Santee Sheriff (Alpine/Lakeside)
SDSU
USD
Heartland Fire Zone 1/2
Metro Fire Zone 6
Calfire Zone 11

NORTH

Carlsbad
CHP El Cajon
Encinitas Sheriff
Escondido
Harbor PD
Oceanside
Poway Sheriff
Rural Sheriff
San Marcos Sheriff
Santee Sheriff
Vista Sheriff
UCSD
Northcomm Zone 3/4
Escondido Zone 5
Calfire Zone 10

The above is a good general list of what will be heard where. If it's only listed on one site, then that is where it can guaranteed be heard. Some fire traffic will be heard outside of it's normal site, but typically only when a random radio affiliates outside it's normal region. Law agencies such as Lemon Grove Sheriff may be heard at night sometimes when the are patched with Santee which is carried on the north site.

Paul