San Francisco Fleet Week 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibzzer15

So I am getting my scanners and whatnot ready for my first fleet week...What do I need to know? Where can I find frequencies and what the best to listen to during fleet week? Also does anyone have any tips on actually getting there, what the place is going to be like and how busy it usually gets? And any insider tips on the best viewpoints? Thanks for anyones help....Have a good one!

synack

Fleet Week

Monitoring Times' Air Show guide will get you setup with known frequencies for all of the demonstration teams, along with some good tips for scanning for new ones. Marine VHF comms are sometimes useful/interesting to listen to during the shows as the Coast Guard contends with a larger number of recreational boaters than usual.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/0311airshowspecial.pdf

R1VINCE

BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you drive to San Francisco this weekend and you have anything bigger than a sub-compact car, you will be charged severely for it.

Last year, I went down there(like I have for a years) and expected to pay 25-30.00 dollars for parking. Its been that way since 1990 when I started going there. Well this time they wanted 60-80.00 dollars to park my Avalanche. That was the price from the water front till about 8 blocks in. y friends went the next day in a Ford Taurus, and a Toyota Camry and were charged 50.00 each to park just 1 block in. Another friend of mine says his buddy went in a Honda Civic and were charged 40.00.

Unless you have a SMALL sub-compact, I wouldnt drive down there.

If coming from Sacramento area, I suggest to go to Vallejo and take the ferry - 45min long cruise, 15.00 each way. Drops you right there at the water front.

You could try BART also but the BART station is pretty far away from the actual show area.

If you have a boat, USE it. Its the BEST way to watch.

Ill be at the end of pier 39 with portable radios MOUNTED to a YAMAHA back pack-if you see, say hi!

mibzzer15

Thanks R1VINCE! If i go past Pier 39 I'll keep my eye out for you! I think im planning on buying premium box seat tickets for the show, mainly because I want to be near where they do all the announcing, but if you have a better idea to where we can go for free, and still hear the announcer, please let me know! Too bad the only car the family has is a Honda Odyssey...im not sure we could do anything else....but thank you thank you for the tip!

b52hbuff

I have somewhere in my notes as 134.7am for AIRBOSS was used last year. I believe b52buff gets the credit for that tidbit.

Thanks for the credit. This Fleetweek thread has a URL to last year's thread. And those threads link back to their previous year's thread. Even though some things change slowly over the years, there is a lot of consistency.

Lot's of great contributions to help you enjoy your radio at the show.

This year, I'm bringing my HP-1EE for the first time. Looking forward to catching some USCG VHF/UHF communications.

mibzzer15

Thank you for the information b52hbuff. I think i keep asking question so i can try and get everything ready and not be so "nervous/anxious" for this weekend....My first time there and im so excited! Thank you for the info!

R1VINCE

I wasnt there today, but I did hear them practice from my home here in Fairfield.
346.5 used from preflight, all the way until they switched to tower for landing.
237.8 Solo's
119.85 Discreet
I also heard alot of traffic on 123.4am for traffic related to the airshow. I dont know what this channel was for. Maybe Airboss or Showboss alternate?

Odd for me to catch them on preflight channel throughout the practice session. Maybe its just a practice thing?
Ill know more tomorrow.
See y'all there.

b52hbuff

I spent the afternoon on Treasure Island in search mode. I've got a bunch of recordings to review in the 162.0125-174 and 406.1-420. But for now, here's what I found for the show:
305.90 Bert
346.50 Box (Diamond / Solos)
333,30 Diamond
237.80 Solos

134.70 Airboss
119.85 Discrete

272.10 Snowbirds
376.025 F15 Demo

Coast Guard Ships
156.700 Marine 14 / Announcements
157.050 Marine 21A
157.075 PATCOM

166.1875 / $293 CG 124 (Clear & Encrypted)
172.3125 / $293 CG128 Announced as Law Enforcement 05

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Marine Ch 14 is Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) within the San Francisco Bay. Ch 12 is the corresponding VTS channel for the oceanic traffic lanes outside the bay. Ch 13 (Bridge to Bridge) is also relevant, and you may catch additional USCG activity on Ch 22A, 23A, 81A, 83A.

ridgescan

shots from the cheap seats (my rooftop)

I am still debating whether to go see them properly tomorrow (Sunday) but meantime I hit the roof for a few shots of them getting closer to me:)
Blue Angels SF 2011 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nIMo4bqMCU

by the way the d130j in the videos is what's receiving the guys and I was relaying the BC785D through the cordless phone with me on the roof lol. Also note that when they flew diamond formation west to east, they followed the precise path as the east to west delta formation- both times flying right across the tip of the discone's whip:) They are so frikkin good! You can also see my longwire in there too:D

Last edited:

salesmanstan

Please help me

Hi guys, Im obvously a newb as this is my first post here. I bought and GRE PSR-300 in hopes to be able to hear the airshow traffic. I visited this post and programed all the freqs. i got silence. i then did a search in the proper bands and still silence even swiched it over to fm and picked up nothing. Was it me or my GRE PSR-300 any help would be valued. At one point i was at aquatic park with ina 1000yds of the show boss and the Radio box on Muni Pier. thanks ahead of time.

mibzzer15

My goodness....today was soooo frkn awesome LOL....Ended up taking the ferry from oak to SF and walked over to marina green for premium box seats....watched the whole show and scanning with my PSR-300. Beautiful day out, all of the flights were my favorites and it was fun, couldn't have asked for more! Once the show was over, we headed immediately back to the ferry dock and there was already a line, we stood in line for 2 hours until a boat for Oakland/Alameda finally arrived. Overall it took us 4 hours to get back home from the end of the show. But the show was soooo frkn awesome!

Btw @salesmanstan, i was scanning with my psr 300 with an all band rubber ducky antenna, i was able to get most of the show, not the best sounding quality, but acceptable. It must have been something with your programming. If you want me to, pm, or post your email and I will send my ARC300 file to you and you can try that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.