Santa Clara Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxradio2003

Hi,

I noticed that Santa Clara Police will be soon switching their frequencies (rebanding). I have the new frequencies, however, I don't know how to program the scanner with the new rebanded step logic to follow the channels correctly. I currently use a BCD396XT and a Pro-96 scanner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

---dxradio

kma371

QRT
Hi,

I noticed that Santa Clara Police will be soon switching their frequencies (rebanding). I have the new frequencies, however, I don't know how to program the scanner with the new rebanded step logic to follow the channels correctly. I currently use a BCD396XT and a Pro-96 scanner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

---dxradio

It shouldn't be any different. Just replace the old control channels with the new control channels.

Is there any activity on the new rebanded freqs? If there is, can you post what you have to the DB?

Thanks.,

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Since they have two frequencies that will be affected by rebanding - so that a rebanding band plan is needed - you'll have to program accordingly. I don't know how Uniden chose to do their system setups but I'd recommend searching the Uniden forum if no one here can help soon enough for you.

cousinkix1953

It's a Motorola system. Just add those new frequencies to the same bank. They will become active once the rebanding is done. I did the same thing; when the UCSC campus rebanded last Summer. There wasn't even a minor glitch when they went from 866-867 mhz down to 852-853 mhz one Friday night after midnight.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
It's a Motorola system. Just add those new frequencies to the same bank. They will become active once the rebanding is done. I did the same thing; when the UCSC campus rebanded last Summer. There wasn't even a minor glitch when they went from 866-867 mhz down to 852-853 mhz one Friday night after midnight.
So you're saying the XT automatically knows to observe the rebanding banplan?

cousinkix1953

So you're saying the XT automatically knows to observe the rebanding banplan?
I put the new frequencies in a few weeks before the rebanding was done. One day they started to use them and my scanner didn't know the difference. The old frequencies were deleted, once they were no longer being used by that system.

I would add those new Santa Clara frequencies, put them in the correct Motorola mode and just wait for them to come alive.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I put the new frequencies in a few weeks before the rebanding was done. One day they started to use them and my scanner didn't know the difference. The old frequencies were deleted, once they were no longer being used by that system.
This is going to happen for most of the freqs this system uses but it's possible that you could be missing the conversations on the two freqs that require a rebanding band plan. You can use ANY 800 trunking scanner in the manner you describe but once the scanner sees anything 85#.###0 it will go to the wrong freq (something 862MHz~).

I had the understanding you had to explicitly state the system as being rebanded with the XT. That's what I'm trying to clarify.

cousinkix1953

The system at the college is working just fine for me. It continues to follow the conversations in the proper descending order on my Pro 97. I programmed the talk groups that I wanted and don't miss not hearing some of those "junk" services in the "closed" mode either. Most of the activity involves internal on campus operations any way.

These old frequencies ( 866.48750 - 866.98750 - 867.48750 - 867.98750 - 868.48750 ) were replaced with the new ones ( 851.48750 - 851.98750 - 852.48750 - 852.98750 - 853.48750 ).

The police and fire went back to their old VHF radios, which are interoperable with the local agencies...

dougr1252

UC Santa Cruz rebanded has no splinter channels, so any trunking scanner can still track them.

dougr1252

Half of the channels between 851-854 were called "splinter channels" because the 851-866 band was allocated at 25 KHz spacing instead of 12.5 KHz like 866-869. So 851.000, 025, 075, 100, etc. were not normally used except near the Mexican border. But since rebanded systems are using all these channels, the "splinter" channels don't really matter in that band, although there is some movement in the industry to start assigning them in the rest of the band now that Nextel will be gone.

I never said they did! Isn't State Parks using some of those down near the Mexican border?

No worries. My point was that UCSC isn't using any of the former "splinter" channels in their rebanded system, so the "rebanded" channels are still part of a normal bandplan and the scanner can deal with them in the same bank as the old ones without a special plan. There are very few systems where you can use that trick though.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
the new ones ( 851.48750 - 851.98750 - 852.48750 - 852.98750 - 853.48750 ).
A majority of the agencies that reband are doing a straight -15MHz drop. If this is the case for the Santa Clara City system then a rebanded band plan will be needed. Since UCSC didn't shift to any 8##.###0 freqs then there's no need for a new band plan.

dougr1252

Most NorCal agencies are rebanding 15 MHz down, but not from current frequencies. They are using the "repacked" frequencies from 2005 as the starting point. There's a table of all the known future frequencies which is based on this report:

Northern California 851-854 MHz Frequency Assignments - The RadioReference Wiki

Santa Clara has added most of their new channels to their license, but they're not quite done implementing yet.

A majority of the agencies that reband are doing a straight -15MHz drop. If this is the case for the Santa Clara City system then a rebanded band plan will be needed. Since UCSC didn't shift to any 8##.###0 freqs then there's no need for a new band plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.