Sarpy Alerting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Sarpy County Gets Alert System That Incorporates Technology

POSTED: 11:40 am CDT May 22, 2008
UPDATED: 1:09 pm CDT May 22, 2008

Sarpy County law enforcement officials spent Wednesday learning how to use their new emergency alert system.The computer-based program offers a different way to notify first responders of an emergency situation. They could be sent a text message, an e-mail or they could be called on the phone. The responder would pick which option would work best for them."The biggest thing we've learned in notification -- if a tornado's in Gretna, we'll be able to put that information to as many people as fast as we can get it with a touch of a key," said the county's emergency management coordinator, Dale Tedder.A Department of Homeland Security grant paid for the system, which will serve three metro counties.

http://www.ketv.com/newsarchive/16363365/detail.html

I saw this story and finally found it again online. Who is the third county, Pottawattamie? I know Douglas and Sarpy are testing this alert system out.

Is this some sort of reverse-911 system that is used to call residences on home phones on events such as jailbreaks, weather warnings, etc, that may affect their immediate area?

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
It is suppose to be a lil magic box that would allow a person (dispatcher, EMA director, etc.) to relay a message via SMS, Text to cellphones, Message to phones, PDAs, and even via Talk-groups, or other radio infastructure for near mass real-time alerting of an incident. For now this is just being used for emergency personnel. The only draw back I see to it is that it all falls onto a computer sitting in a corner connected to a radio, and using some VoIP as well. The VoIP part is kind of what draws my attention and is uneasy with me. I'd really hate to put someone's life on the line knowing the internet can crash or the computer needs to be rebooted. Yikes.

Here is the PDF of their "sucess story"... http://www.codespear.com/pdf/FSCodespear_customer success_omaha.pdf

Last edited:

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
They're planning to use a group call to alert severe weather spotters. Local EMA directors
have contacted amateur radio groups and the REACT team for a list of members who are
willing to receive notification of a call out via Codespear.

I just received a codespear text for a NWS severe weather conference today in 4 seperate messages. Our EOC calls out staff via text. We use notepager pro from www.notepager.com. We have used this for the last 2 years wiht no problems. Of course if the internet or cell service is down it doesn't work.

jayt555

I have got to know codespear like the back of my hand. It was funny when we were doing training for our REACT group the Assistant EMA was there and did a mass CSp message to the group and it failed. They forgot to inform him they were doing server work. Needless to say he was not happy. It's kind of a fun system. You can also have them respond to your message and see the results instantly. That is if you have access to the
internet. Yes Douglas, Sarpy and Pott counties will be on it. They will be able to message police,fire,public works,red cross,spotters, what ever they think they need for any type of disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.