SBE Opti-Scan 1975 Vintage Scanner Help Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I recently acquired a SBE-12SM scanner.

But I am looking for cards. So if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get cards .. or make this work, please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

jhooten

If you have one unused card copy it. Cut out the copy then glue it to a 3X5 card. Trim the 3X5 card to the size of the original programming card. Cut or punch the card you just made the same as you would peel the numbered boxes from the original card.

That is how I got my Opti-Scan working up to the point it was lost in the great fire.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
G&G Communications lists the Optiscan cards at the link below. Not cheap but also not available elsewhere.

MODS

Attention SBE Optiscan Owners...
We now carry professionally reproduced Optiscan cards which replace the original plastic cards that are no longer available. These cards require a paper punch to program and are available for $10.95 for a package of three.

oracavon

Try using my template

I tried the cards from G&G. They work OK, but not the best. Might need some trimming to fit. Not to mention the cost (oh wait, someone did mention it...)

I finally made my own cards by scanning an original card and cleaning up the scanned image. I then created the attached pdf file.

To make your own cards, print out the attached file on heavy cardstock (standard letter size, 8.5 x 11 inches), then use a paper trimmer to cut out each individual card. The original cards are 4.724 in x 2.224 in (12 cm x 5.65 cm).

When printing, be sure to set the print scale to "actual size" (not "fit" or "shrink", both of which will print it at 97% scale, making the cards too small). Also, use a black marker to color the entire back side of the numbered area to make sure that no light leaks through.

If you follow the above instructions, the cards should work fine. They do for me.

Attachments

• Optiscan card page.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 351

SCPD

QRT
I don't know what to say but a huge thank you. I will definitely try it out.

I got the scanner for free .. and well it is just something from the museum but interested me as it is just unique and older than any other scanner I have ever owned .. which gives it a special something that the new scanners do not have.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I tried the cards from G&G. They work OK, but not the best. Might need some trimming to fit. Not to mention the cost (oh wait, someone did mention it...)

I finally made my own cards by scanning an original card and cleaning up the scanned image. I then created the attached pdf file.

To make your own cards, print out the attached file on heavy cardstock (standard letter size, 8.5 x 11 inches), then use a paper trimmer to cut out each individual card. The original cards are 4.724 in x 2.224 in (12 cm x 5.65 cm).

When printing, be sure to set the print scale to "actual size" (not "fit" or "shrink", both of which will print it at 97% scale, making the cards too small). Also, use a black marker to color the entire back side of the numbered area to make sure that no light leaks through.

If you follow the above instructions, the cards should work fine. They do for me.

I created my own also but for the 16 channel version.
They worked fine and I used laminating sheets to make them about the same thickness as the original plastic cards. My early attempts needed to be laminated over about three times to make them thick enough but I later found some card stock that my old laser printer would handle along with some thicker than normal laminating plastic that produced an almost perfect card.
The only problem I had was the original cards hardly had any border so I had to use a laminate the still stuck together after I trimmed them for width.
I also made some using thick card stock that did not need to be laminated for thickness. They were cut to fit the width and I played with a modified leather punch to get the depth I needed to punch the inner holes.
The punch was the kind that had several punch sizes. I was able to use one that made holes a tiny bit smaller than the factory cards. I found those cards did not need to be as precise as the OEM cards so I could trim them to fit kind of sloppy but they still worked well.
I used an original unpunched card for my original template which made it easy to make sure I was punching the correct area of the cards I made.

The only problem I had was finding a hole punch with a deep enough throat to reach the inner few rows of channel holes to punch.

They ended up working fantastic though

oracavon

I found that laminating wasn't necessary if I used heavy enough cardstock. Plus, it makes the cards cheaper and easier to make - you can quickly make several and not worry about ruining them with a wrong hole punch. In a pinch, I was even able to use a standard manilla file folder cut to 8.5 x 11 before printing. The cards from G&G are made from just cardstock (no lamination or other stiffener).

As for punching holes, I found that a 1/8 inch hole punch worked well without overlapping adjacent numbers. Below is a link to the one I use. It reaches just far enough to access the inner numbers on the 10-channel cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001DT3ZE

SCPD

QRT
I got some cards done today in a laser printer and cut up, but the issue was the hole punch and I am happy to see some posts here in that regards.

I will see what I can find.
Thanks guys.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
I have a few unused cards, I have a like new opti. I can part with one card if you still need it.

SCPD

QRT
I am good .. I will see how things work out. But this is not a pressing issue .. just a toy at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.