Scanner Advice - Fort Wayne, IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

djstar39

Hi,

I'm a General Licensed Ham looking to buy a scanner. Been doing research and have been looking at the BCD-396XT or the BCD-996XT. Have never had a scanner so I have no brand loyalty. Also trying to decide on handheld or base/mobile. Want to be able to listen to 'everything' in FWA / Allen Co.

Also, does anyone know if they have scanners at the Fort Wayne Hamfest coming up next weekend?

Thanks!!

Dave
KC9RAK

adunkle76

Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear you are joining the scanning world. Both scanners you mentioned will pick up Allen county public safety systems. You mentioned "everything" so I assume that's what you meant. At the hamfest there are usually a couple of vendors that sell scanners. If you end up with a Uniden I would get the usb cable to go with it. They come with a serial cable. I was fortunate to have a computer with a serial port. If you subscribe to this website it will be super easy to setup your scanner and you can download Freescan for free as your programming software. If you need help all you have to do is check this website. There is help everywhere.

Aaron,
N9RGQ

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Typically, R&L Electronics has a booth at the Fort Wayne Hamfest and they typically have a few scanners with them. However, if you are interested in something specific, you may want to call them ahead of time to make sure they bring the radio you are looking for with them.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Don't rule out the Radio Shack brand of scanners. There was a time I regretted buying this brand of scanners, but my experience with the Pro 197 sitting right next to my BCD996T (not the XT) is that the Pro 197 has better reception capabilities than the 996T. When buying a new scanner for my fire department, I went with the Pro 197 and have had no regrets.

djstar39

Thanks Aaron, I did add a Serial card with two outputs to my PC so I could interface my FT-857D. But I think I will go the USB route going forward.

Looking forward to Hamfest and will be stopping by the R&L booth! Looking to pick up a bunch of Ham stuff.

And Kyle, I will check out the RS stuff as I have to go there today for other reasons.

BTW, does anyone have any opinions of the Uniden HP-1 vs the 396XT/996XT?

Thx!

Dave
KC9RAK

W9NES

adunkle 76, The Uniden 396Xt is a great Handheld scanner. I own both the 396XT and the 396T.I am looking at buying a Uniden Home Patrol to add to the Northwest Communications Center. The Uniden Home patrol does a great job and has a excellent front end on the receiver.A fellow RR Member has (2) of the Home Patrols and he has excellent results.He hears other radio traffic outside his area that other scanners will not even pick up.

djstar39

Leaning towards the HP-1... Called RandL to see if they could bring one to Hamfest and they're out of stock. May have to go with Scanner Master as I've read nothing but good things about them.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.