• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Scanner Antenna Amp or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
I have a interesting question that i think will be right here..What is the difference between the EDA-2800 and the EDA-UG 2802.I currently have the EDA-2800 hooked up to my 4 scanners in my office right now and some frequencies work great and others do not. I am thinking i made a wrong purchase when i bought the EDA-2800 instead of EDA-UG 2802 but having a little trouble understanding what the difference is between them.I probably have overlooked a small detail somewhere that is much bigger than i thought...Any thoughts will be a great help...

jackj

slick97454,
After just a quick glance, it looks like the main difference between the two is that the EDA-UG 2802 has a return path. But these are cable drop amps designed to operate with a high signal input level. Depending on the amp design, they may not be able to amplify low level signals or the amount of amplification may vary with input level and/or frequency. It is also possible that they have notch filters tuned to eliminate any interference from public service / pager transmitters. You might have better results using an amplifier/splitter designed for off-the-air TV.

BillW1

Check out Stridberg Engineering (SE). MCA204A. I have the MCA204M 4 port with a pre-amp. Works great with the right antenna.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
I did read the title and description as there are several posts and topics about this same subject in the original section before it was moved i thought it would be ok to put another topic...I guess i was wrong

W2PMX

From a quick read, it would seem that the 2800 is a single port, the 2802 has a built-in 2-port splitter.

Your main problem, though, is probably that the amplifier is designed for a 0 to 10
dBmV input, and your antenna input is a couple of orders of magnitude (or more) weaker than that. You need an antenna amp, not a cable amp.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
Alright Thank you all for the great advice i appreciate it.Also Attached is a pic of the radio station i have setup. It is a work in progress. Just setting everything up. Hope to add more toys to the collection when time and money permits it.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.