Scanner Antenna Lighting Strike???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpslusser

prcguy said:
Here is one of many suppliers that sell by the foot:
http://www.jefatech.com/product/LL400B/Low_Loss_400_Coax__By_The_Foot.html
43c/ft from Jeffatech is a middle of the road price considering 1000ft spools run a little under $300 and crimp type N connectors are about $2.85 each in small qty but you need the correct crimper. Silver/Teflon PL-259s fit and cost around $2.75 each, all you need for that is a soldering gun. At .43/ft and connectors under $3ea the whole thing will cost under $30 if you put your own connectors on. If you lived close by I would probably just give you 50ft of LMR-400.
prcguy

Lol, were do yu live....Hey thanks for the link. WHy is some of it so expensive in some places. Like if you google it. Google store has it, its expensive. But anyway. From the Jefatech.com, do I buy the UHF PL-259 ends? Do they have BNC ends for 3/8 LMR-400 cable? I couldnt find anything rite away.

Heres a linkto the UHF pl-259 end.
http://www.jefatech.com/product/CPL259/PL259_UHF_Male.html

prcguy

I see a lot of the expensive sites cater to the wireless internet industry where computer geeks probably don't know about antennas and just fork out the money for a ready to go antenna and cable. Companies that buy 1,000ft reels and part them out in little chunks are entitled to a profit but many seem to double the price. If you need PL-259s, I would recommend Amphenol silver plated with Teflon insulation. These are available at most large electronic stores and Radio Shack has a version thats usable. My local electronics store has good quality LMR-400/9913 crimp type N connectors for $2.85 and I bought several 10 packs on Ebay for around $18ea. I live near Los Angeles, let me know if you are close enough to pick up a chunk.
prcguy
dpslusser said:
Lol, were do yu live....Hey thanks for the link. WHy is some of it so expensive in some places. Like if you google it. Google store has it, its expensive. But anyway. From the Jefatech.com, do I buy the UHF PL-259 ends? Do they have BNC ends for 3/8 LMR-400 cable? I couldnt find anything rite away.

Heres a linkto the UHF pl-259 end.
http://www.jefatech.com/product/CPL259/PL259_UHF_Male.html

dpslusser

prcguy said:
I live near Los Angeles, let me know if you are close enough to pick up a chunk.
prcguy

Yah....no....im on the completly other side corner of the country. Pennsylvania. But anyway. Radioshack has a "UHF-Type coax PL-259 Connector Silver plated Teflon insulation" catr number 278-0188. The hold were the cable goes is bigger than normal. Whats the outer diameter of LMR-400 cable? The hole on this connector looks like it could be 3/8-1/2inch diameter.

If that does work. Im gunna get the one off on Jefa cuz its ALOT cheaper. 1.50 on Jefa. 6.00 on Radioshack.
I guess what im REALLY looking for is a UHF-type BNC connector.

Last edited:

commstar

Premium Subscriber
Lightning, Schmightning, what are your chances of winning the lottery or Nobel Prize? Probably alot better than being struck by lightning. I would say that this should be a consideration but not the prime consideration here. Do it right but do not let this consume you. When contrasted with putting up a TV antenna, this is really exactly the same thing. An external receiving antenna. Not such a big deal I respectfully assert. If you are that worried about Lightning, mount it in your attic. It works well and will not increase your homes exterior ground path profile for lack of a more complicated term.

Here is 50' of LMR-400 w/N Connectors installed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LMR-400-75-FT-W...ryZ44996QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is alot of LMR-400 on eBay in various lengths, configurations, and of course prices.
LMR-400 is great stuff for scanner applications. Search a little and save alot. Some sellers will install whatever connectors you desire so adapting is not necessary. General rule: do not buy used coax unless it has spent its entire life indoors (even then think twice and dont buy it).

As others have in essence said, the better the coax, the better your results. Make the investment, the results are worth it. Kinda like using a quality stereo receiver with really cheap speakers- you can but what is the point? Quality components equal Quality results.

I have been cheap and by the time one gets done messing around with cheap, it is almost always more expensive than doing it right the first time thru. There is nothing wrong with being frugal so search for what you need.

BTW, here is a Polyphaser as previously mentioned:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PolyPhaser-5-8g...oryZ4672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for mounting in the attic, if you have the space to put a good quality antenna up there then I say give it a try. I had such an arrangement at my previous house and it worked extremely well for me.

In the attic, I had a Channel Master scanner antenna and another on the roof outside. I think the one in the attic worked a bit better than the one outside for whatever reason. YMMV.

My experience is certainly not unique and there are others who have had good success also (search RR). There are detractors who say this is not a good way to go. For a transmitting antenna, I would tend to agree. For a receive only antenna, my experience is that attic mounting works very well.

Also, there were some additional pluses- The fact that the antenna will remain out of the weather and will last much longer than one exposed to the elements. This also true of the coax, connectors and mounting hardware. If you wanted to change antennas then it was a trip to the attic which was a much nicer trip in my case than during the winter than outside onto the roof.

Additionally, you might be mitigating some liability by not adding another lighting path to the exterior profile of your house.

Good luck. let us know what you decide and how it works out.

dpslusser

commstar said:
My experience is certainly not unique and there are others who have had good success also (search RR). There are detractors who say this is not a good way to go. For a transmitting antenna, I would tend to agree. For a receive only antenna, my experience is that attic mounting works very well.

Well, im defenetly going to get the LMR-400. I have a computer rite by were I want to put my scanner. So GOOD cable will work. And for almost the same price as a 50ft lentgh of junk at Ratshack. But anyway....it would safe me some money mounting it in the attic. Chimney mount, pole, ground wire, ground rod, including dangerous climbing ladder, possible lightning strikes, becasue it will be the highest point.

The only problem is getting to the attic. It is in my Dads closest. We live in a ranch home, and we have an unused, none trussled, attic. And im not sure were to drop the cable down from up in the attic also.

Status
Not open for further replies.