Scanner/antenna setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkvt

Premium Subscriber
I would really appreciate some help figuring out a scanner/antenna setup that would work best (or at least really well)...

I am a frequent visitor to Yellowstone National Park, and I like to use a scanner to listen to the traffic from the park service and the amateur (but very serious) wildlife watchers. The park service frequencies are all in the 155-175 range. The other frequencies are between 460 and 465. I have a Uniden BCD396XT and a Uniden BC125AT. Recently, I have been using the BCD396XT with a wide band antenna (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C1T7PC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). In the hopes of improving performance, I have been looking for a different setup.

I have looked at the Larsen tri band antenna and a lot of single band antennas. I guess my question is...would I be significantly better off getting 2 single band antennas and connecting one to each scanner over using something like the Larsen tri band with a single scanner.

If using separate antennas, how should they be placed on the vehicle. I have a Jeep Cherokee with a panoramic sunroof, so there isn't a whole lot of metal up there. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I've used the Larsen 150/450/800 scanner antennas for years and have been more than satisfied with their performance and durability. One of these antennas should suffice. If your requirement is to listen to both scanners at the same time, I would use two of the Larsens. Maximum flexibility.

- John

nyair1

I use a Watson 801 for local stuff and a Diamond Rh77 for far things.
e62310ab789d7cfd47de9237b18a3fe5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.