Scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgelover93

just curiouse if any one has tride using tne w1oorx back of set bnc antenna on a scanner radio..does the w1oorx bnc 40" antenna inprove singals on air traffic frequencys..im using the stock bos antenna its only 25.5" when extended.. any info is great or whats the best indoor antenna that gets moost range ..im in windsor ontario ..looking to get more range on am band and the 400 mhz ..and cb radio bands thanks..

Valeriy

just curiouse if any one has tride using tne w1oorx back of set bnc antenna on a scanner radio..does the w1oorx bnc 40" antenna inprove singals on air traffic frequencys..im using the stock bos antenna its only 25.5" when extended.. any info is great or whats the best indoor antenna that gets moost range ..im in windsor ontario ..looking to get more range on am band and the 400 mhz ..and cb radio bands thanks..

I purchased the Comet W100RX, SMA version, as a second choice, along with my BCD436HP handheld, because the antenna I wanted to purchase, a 54" Scanmaster TFA-10, was out of stock.
Many months later, I found it also on an U.K. site, and it's still available now, thus maybe I'll get it sooner or later.
(It is BNC only, but it can be used with an adapter).

Anyway the W100RX is good for Civilian Air Band and VHF/UHF listening.
Every now and then some CB'ers get caught, :) too, in AM, but consider that these days the remaining CB'ers
use more the USB rather than AM and FM, and the scanners with the two SSB modulations are just a few models, as far as I know,
thus don't expect to listen to many CB comms.
Regards.

Last edited:

dodgelover93

Antenna

so would you say the w1oorx is better then the stock fixed mount sntenna on a scanner?
Do you think it recieves better thanks ...

AC2OY

Most of the reviews say it works better than a stock antenna but you have to lean it because it gets loose at the joint. To the OP can you do a outside antenna like a discone or something. That will really increase your listening range!!! They are also wide and 25-1300mhz.

Valeriy

so would you say the w1oorx is better then the stock fixed mount sntenna on a scanner?
Do you think it recieves better thanks ...

Yes, of course.
I forgot to mention that there are also little Discone-like desktop antennas for indoor use.
I have seen more than one of those on eBay, but don't know yet if they are actually worth trying or not.
Regards.

Valeriy

Most of the reviews say it works better than a stock antenna but you have to lean it because it gets loose at the joint. To the OP can you do a outside antenna like a discone or something. That will really increase your listening range!!! They are also wide and 25-1300mhz.

I have my W100RX since more than one year, and none of its two pivots is getting loose. :)
Anyway, an external Discone antenna would be a better option, of course, but maybe not all can have a well-suited place to install it...
A little indoor Discone-like desktop antenna might be a viable option.
I know also there are people who use a full-sized Discone antenna installed indoor on a tripod, but that requires to have enough room for it.
Regards.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I will second the notion of a discone on the roof as being the best for air band reception. The old CB adage "height is might" holds true. . That being said, the absolute best portable air band antenna I have used is the discontinued Maldol AL500-H Maldol AL-500H Air band Scanner Antenna . these pop up on Ebay from time to time. #2 on the list would be the Diamond RH-77. Hope this addresses your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.