• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanner Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

para595

Premium Subscriber
I have an idea floating in my head about making a box out of 22 Ga galvanized steel to hold my scanners. The idea for this box would be to have the four scanners that I have (2 BC346xt 1BCD396xt 1BCD396t). They will be placed on the front with mic clip attachment points. Inside the box will be the coax and connections, Preamp and I was thinking an UPS surge protector to give me a little bit of power back up. In the back of the box will be the outlet for the surge plug and a connector for the antenna in line. My question is would I have interference with the powered devices being in closed in the same box as the coax lines. Some other possible issues I see is I plan on painting the inside and outside of the box to help with both rust and also any possible shorting to the metal that may occur. The other issue will be possible overheating and I was thinking of putting two USB computer fans on the sides to counteract this.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

pjtnascar

For starters, I would make the box out of aluminum. As far as interference, are you keeping the rubber duckies, or connecting all of the scanners into one antenna? If you're sharing an antenna, you may get some intermod between the scanners.

para595

Premium Subscriber
They will be using the same antenna which is the current system that I use currently I have not noticed any inter-mod but may just be me not knowing it when it hits. Any reason to saying Aluminum other then weight savings? The picture is a rough idea of what im using now what is not showing is the Radio Shack Preamp and spliters.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 727

pjtnascar

Aluminum is more expensive, but I think it looks nicer. I'm not sure what exactly you are looking to do with the set up, but if your radios are working well all connected to one antenna, then you should be okay.

I don't really see a need for the back-up system, since all of those scanners will run on batteries anyway.

Last edited:

W2NJS

If you intend to sit the "box" on a table, the easiest way to do this is to get small rack cabinet that takes standard 19-inch wide rack panels and then install two rack shelves in the cabinet. The rack cabinets are available for reasonable prices on eBay, and the shelves can be had from outfits like Sam Ash for under $20 each with free shipping. Mounting screws you pick up also on eBay for under ten bucks for about 100 of them; the size is 10-32 and it's an industry standard. You could get a rack that has enough room in the bottom to hold a power supply or a bunch of wall warts. In total you're probably looking at about $125 or thereabouts to do a really neat job that will make you the envy of your friends.

para595

Premium Subscriber
The plan for this was to make something that would in essence be a plug-n-play setup (ex moving rooms in the house, taking to the car for trips, airshows and events and basically just have to plug in the new antenna and plug into power.) The other end of the story is I am a laid off Sheet Metal Worker so my mind gets to thinking of new ideas. I see what you mean about the Aluminum will have to see if my hall has any I could use. The Shelf idea sound cool for a fixed base idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.