Scanner For Lancaster County

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtwin88

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I recently dusted off my fathers old Radio Shack Pro 20-20 and programmed in frequencies
found on this forum. I'm a newb to all of this digital and trunking stuff and would like to
upgrade to a Pro 96. Would this be a practical purchase for my area or would the Pro 96
become outdated in a couple of years? I understand the OpenSky project was dropped
for the county which raises my interest to upgrade. I have some electronic and computor
knowledge, but the new scanning terminology has thrown me for a loop. I appreciate
any help you folks can offer.

Rob

NodrogCop

As for Lancaster county, you can rest assured you won't need a digital scanner for at least a couple of years. What we in public safety here are being told is that it will be 2010 until a new radio system is online, whatever it may be.

For what it's worth, anyway.

Gordon

ctrabs74

I'm not sure what part of Lancaster County you're from, but if you're near either Dauphin or York Counties, you might want to think about a digital scanner as both counties are in the process of migrating to P25 digital trunked systems.

vtwin88

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info guys, i'm between Adamstown and Terre Hill, Close to Berks county.
Is scanning PSP and Turnpike maintenance out of the question due to the statewide OpenSky?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
What a small world

vtwin88 said:
Thanks for the info guys, i'm between Adamstown and Terre Hill, Close to Berks county.
Is scanning PSP and Turnpike maintenance out of the question due to the statewide OpenSky?

Hello neighbor! I frequent the adamstown area in the spring and fall. Welcome aboard! {:>D
There's lots to listen to if you are in the right area. From where I'm at I can listen to Lancaster county, some berks county, some York county (I don't think that will be much longer }:>( some dauphin county, some chester county, and in the morning, some lebanon county. If you're up high enough, you'll even get control channel for Harford co, MD. And there is lots of action on turnpike district 3 and 4 (If you can get it). You will get PSP, maintenance, traffic reports from highspire, and EMS/Fire responding to incidents on the Turnpike. The nice thing about it is all of these are conventional.
Well, enjoy.

ctrabs74

vtwin88 said:

PSP in Lancaster County, generally, is on OpenScam, however, it couldn't hurt to plug in the PSP Base and Mobile for Channel A since there are dead spots that require VHF usage. Turnpike is still VHF for the forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.