Scanner for Rail Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There was a Radio shack which was not a franchised store here several years ago, folded up and now a NEW one just opened on the opposite end of town.
Again, a non franchised radio shack which seems to be a trend.
Strangely, no listed phone number for them either... :roll:

n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Now that Radio Shack is dead. Who do I go to buy a new Scanner for Rail communications? And no I don't want Bearcat/Uniden ether. Thanks..

Radio Shack is NOT dead ... yet. Uniden radios work just fine for rail comms. ;)

n9zas

SpectreOZ

Now that Radio Shack is dead. Who do I go to buy a new Scanner for Rail communications? And no I don't want Bearcat/Uniden ether. Thanks..

Well Allan let me brake it to ya' Realistic's product line is simply house re-branding on a large scale, I've got Realistic scanners from over a decade ago that are either marked GRE or Uniden on their circuit board.

BTW What's with the unreferenced bias against Uniden products... had a bad experience?

Last edited:

Eng3ineer

I'd give the Yeasu FT-250r or 270 or Kenwood TH-K20A good look. All are ham radios but work very well for Rail and cost around 140 bucks or less. I picked up new ft-250r on ebay back years ago and it's been excellent radio better than any scanner i'd say while out track side picks up better and you don't have problems of it overloading like scanner does when close to pager towers and such.

On the ft250 you can only program in channels no bank or anything so kinda pain

On the FT270 you have 10 banks that allow you set up just like scanner.

Not sure on Kenwood as just now looking at one myself.

Also if looking for mobile/base the Kenwood Tm281a is excellent radio as well. This is radio that use for my rail feeds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.