Scanner for Rail Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

Ham Radio Outlet or Universal Radio? I'm confused when did Radio Shack die? Also what's wrong with a Uniden? Try eBay they have a few scanners up for sale.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just about any VHF radio that does analog mode can be programmed to receive railroad frequencies. Only caveat is that some railroads are switching to NXDN, in which case you'll need an Icom, Kenwood or Ritron NXDN radio to hear them.
If railroad monitoring is your hobby, I wouldn't be investing in an analog scanner. Either get an NXDN capable Kenwood or Icom, or wait until a scanner manufacture finally releases an NXDN capable scanner.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Whistler bought the rights to GRE's scanners. So anywhere that you would have bought a GRE scanner in the past, should have Whistler scanners in the future.
But, as was mentioned previously, be sure that your local rail line(s) haven't gone, or aren't planning to go, to NXDN. If they have, or will in the near future, you'll have to purchase a commercial NXDN radio and program it for receive-only.

bear780ks

Ham Radio Outlet or Universal Radio? I'm confused when did Radio Shack die? Also what's wrong with a Uniden? Try eBay they have a few scanners up for sale.

That is what I'd like to know so would the Manager of the store I go to lot's of times she says when you see a store shutting down it can be a non corporate moving from one area to another.

she said there hasn't been that many corporate stores that have closed there doors in the last 5 years as one's complain to). For me when I see it on CNN or Nightline that the Key has been for sure thrown in the fire pit I'll say there not what they use to be.. but neither are they Dead:) Bear

Last edited:

AC2OY

Allen If you hate Uniden Scanners, Grab a GRE PSR-800 Its a amazing radio that does everything but TRBO and a few other encrypted systems. I grabbed one and it works great! I apologize if I wasn't more help earlier.

scantime

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
The scanners from Whistler are due after the first of the year.

Yeah, and I hope they get a face lift because the rad shack/gre offerings are pure ugly. Of course, ugly scanners are like ugly women - we're gonna to love 'em anyway. lol

SCPD

QRT
aor

AOR makes a NexDen and Dstar decoder! ARD-300.
http://www.aorja.com/others/pdf/ARD300_FLYER_PR.pdf

Just for the record,theres no scanner that does it without a decoder box or software such as DSD.

Radioshack has the PRO-164 and Pro197 by GRE and Uniden (but ya dont want uniden so-)

AOR makes communications receivers,and so does ICOM and Alinco available at HRO,AES,any other ham radio place.

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Now that Radio Shack is dead...

It is? I read the business section of the Tribune religiously, but I guess I missed their obituary.

When do the "going out of business" sales begin??

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.