scanner law in alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I checked the Alberta Queen's Printer website - http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/ - and found no Acts or Regulations (aka laws) that make any reference to scanners. There's nothing in the Traffic Safety Act (replacement for the Highway Traffic Act/Motor Vehicle Administration Act) that I can see, and no other Acts/Regulations that I can locate that one would reasonably expect such stuff to be contained in.

I also searched http://laws.justice.gc.ca - the Government of Canada equivalent of the Queen's Printer - and scoured the Radiocommunications Act, and found nothing except the usual "no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it."

Granted, I've only done a quickie search. However, I found few other laws, statutes, or other documents which would restrict or regulate use of scanners or other radio receivers, and I've done some serious looking in the past, regarding the "digital scanner" junk.

electricsheep

You can count on most law enforcement officers who pull you over or stop you to also not know what laws, if any, apply to scanners... best advice, don't be pulled over while having a scanner blast dispatch channels. Makes them real edgy.

Common sense must prevail. Be discrete.

Besides the radiocommunication act restrictions, I don't think you have to worry about officially breaching anything.

gqtrebor

yea it's not like im going around looking for trouble was just cerious is all . plus if customs let them through when they are lcearly marked on the box what it is. then i figure that it can't be all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.